Getting ready to change the engine oil in my 863. I haven't purchased a manual yet, so I was wanting to get opinions on the oil you use. I was planning on going with Delco 400 15W-40 Also if you know the capacity that would help. Thanks!!!! :thumbsup
The 15/40 Delo will work fine. I can't remember your machine, but most of these size engines hold somwhere between 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 gallons. But I can give you the best tip you can have changing the engine oil on it; Do not do it with oil cold, unless you have time to eat a whole pizza and drink a pitcher of beer waiting on that cold oil to run out of that hose. Start the engine and let the oil warm up, then it runs out a lot quicker. Another thing, the end of the hose has a #8 JIC steel cap on it, a 7/8" wrench fits the cap. But you also have to grip the fitting on the end of the hose, and if it's original Bobcat, the fitting is brass. If you put a wrench on it, then the 7/8 on the JIC cap, and try to break cap loose, the pressure may try to "round off the hex flats" of the brass fitting, not good. Simple fix; take 2 hammers. Place the flat head of one hammer on a flat of the JIC cap and hold it there. Take the other hammer and give a few smacks to the flat of the cap that's directly on the opposite side of the backup hammer. You might then have to move to a different set of flats and repeat. Then the cap will say "OK, I give up" and come right off.
I use shell rotella 15/40 in my 8875 john deere.I dont know the capacity on the 863.You should be able to get a good idea after the old oil is drained into a container plus the oil from the old filter.
There is actually a steel tubeline used to drain the engine oil in the deutz equipped bobcats. Takes a 13/16 and a 7/8 wrench. Engine oil capacity is 10 qts with filter. Total system capacity is 16 qts. with cooler.
Oh heck, what was I thinkin'. I forgot you have an 863 with the Deutz oil cooled engine, might hold more oil than what I stated earlier. Seems like they were 3 gals or better, not sure.
Yeah, you beat me bustedknuckle! Once it hit me up side of head that he has the Duetz engine, that changes everything. I'm just so used to the Kubota's in Bobcats I totally forgot about the Duetz in the 863. Ahh, you gotta mess one up every now and then, eh.
It happens to everyone, ATCO. It messes me up when I get a isuzu or puegot powered bobcat where everything is backwards.
Yeah man, don't you hate it when that happens!
ATCO's Hammers: ATCOEQUIP, my friend, think of the time, money, and aggravation you have probably saved people from... by posting your great little hammer tricks. The first, I think, was the hydraulic cylinder end cap removal issue... :thumbsup And now, the fine tip about the JIC cap... basically the same principal that was applied to the cylinder... :thumbsup Most people wouldn't even dream of using a technique, such as you describe. Why?... Because it's counter intuitive... "My God, if I beat on it here, it'll smash it in, and I'll never get it off"... I'll bet you've even heard those words... And of course, to be sure, if applied improperly... that could happen. The difference here, between you, and most other people... is the fact that you've gone past the "counter intuitive" stage, and can recognize the fact that the metal actually expands a bit... :cool2 I believe that's called experience... Any way... my hat's off to you... :notworthy Now... explain how to get a speedy sleeve off of a wheel spindle... lol OCR...
Thanks !!!! Thanks again for alll the great information. As far as the hammer trick, I had to read that a few times before it made sense. :spaz That is thinking outside the box for sure, and I will try that when the next opportunity comes up. I have not looked for a drain tube yet, just assumed that there was a drain plug like a car engine. I will go look for it before I ask where it is
ATCO's hammers! Thats funny. The hammer is one of mans oldest and most useful tools. Whether it's a rock breaking open a shellfish or a hammer driving nails building a house. I dare say there's not a day goes by that I'm not taking a hammer out of my toolbox. I've been using a hammer to break loose JIC fittings, or any fitting for that matter, for a long time. Get on one of those big fittings that require a 1 1/2" or 2" wrench, those puppies can get tight, and difficult for a little 140 lb guy like me to get loose. A few taps with a hammer on the flats and it'll come right loose. I've even removed and re-installed those big fittings in spots that didn't have room for such a long wrench, just by using a hammer to loosen and tighten. As for getting off a speedy sleave from a spindle...dynamite works well, but I doubt your neighbors would be too keen with it. Thanks for the thumbs up, OCR, much appreciated.
Engine oil for 863: and ATCO's Hammers: You're more than welcome... and it's well deserved. OCR...