Anybody personally changed theirs? Is this an at home job. I looked in the parts manual and it looks some what simple. Just wondering whats involved and time wise what it would take? I was moving a 3700-4000 pound load with my pallet forks and i guess i completly shattered the left side and the right side is a little loose also. Thanks for any input or suggestions
Can't give you much advise. I know you will have to access the chain on the bad wheel, remove connector link from inside the chain case, then remove bolts on outer housing, remove wheel assembly and rebuild. You can get the bearings and seals at any bearing house. Not a bad job. I've had worse. You can do it. Feeding and attaching the chain back can sometimes test whether you will swear or not. I sometimes learn new swear words. This website has a parts breakdown which sounds like you already have. Hope this helps, Z https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/webparts/main.php
This can be an at home job if you are the patient; competent mechanic type with the proper tools. The job is straight forward and depending on the condition of the machine (corrosion and grime) it can go pretty quick. Best as I remember its an all day job to replace all 4 sets of wheel bearings and seals.
So i have it apart and all cleaned up. The new bearing seem to have to be pressed on. I don't understand how i am suppost to get the outter seal installed and the bearing pressed on the axle at the same time without damaging the seal. The bearing races have already been knocked in. I cant just beat the bearing on the axle first cause then i can't get the seal on. How do i go about this??? :Banghead
1) Stand the bare (no bearings) axle vertically 2) next - install seal (grease OD & ID)- now install prepacked (with grease) bearing cone up to the shoulder - I use a piece of pipe the same diameter as the ID to install - using a long punch with GENTLE taps to the inner race , side to side will also work (more chance of chipping race) 3) Now lower the axle housing on to the axle (with cups installed) 4) Install inner cone (prepacked) / seal / spacer 5) Can usually CAREFULLY work the outer seal into housing with two prybars at this stage - (grease on seal OD helps) - if the seal is stubborn about going in , fit the sprocket & nut to stop axle housing trying to lift away from flange. 6) Once outer seal is fitted - can now fit hub etc...........