Hello fellas I'm rebuilding a 188D engine and need some help.. Engine block is ready for new sleeves today. Then I'd like to plastigauge all the bearings up. My rod bearings are -0.010 undersized now main bearings are standard. But for the life of me I can't find bearing clearances on line for this thing.? Maybe I'm google wrong but I can't find em. Could you guys help me out please. Thanks
Ramman, I'm travelling today and don't have time right now to look this up in my manual. Once I get home later today, I can see what's listed and copy the pages. I'm going to assume that you don't have the printed manual, as if you do, this should all be in there somewhere. Time differences will make my response in the evening for me, so hopefully one of the other guys will find it for you.
Juskalta Thanks very much! No I do not have a manual. The machine shop that did the work gave me torque values but must have forgot I also asked for bearing clearances. Or they didn't know them? So my quest began. I was hoping to purchase a pdf manual on line but can't find one. Thanks again!
99% certain the clearance will be 0.0015" to 0.002" once you find the spec. It's got to be that tight for the hydrodynamic wedge of oil to float the journal off the bearing insert. I've messed around with a couple of dozen different makes of engines, and it was always right around those numbers. If you ever get to work on a Japanese engine, they'll have 4 or 5 color coded bearing shells so you can adjust the clearance down to a couple of ten thousandth of an inch. They really like to have a really tight clearance....
Thanks very much. I think that's right around the numbers for vw diesel I rebuilt. Thanks again!
Ok, I'm home and have to manual in front of me. Here's what I get from each section: Rod Bearings - The rod bearings clearance should be .0010" to .0035" Crankshaft Main Bearings - Oil bearing clearance should be .0012" to .0042" I can scan and email the whole section for this and will try to post the three pages for 188 Diesel Engine Specifications rather than cherry pick info. The specs I posted are from each Assembly section of the manual. There is other stuff that may be of interest that having your own manual will give you at your fingertips. Ramman, PM me with your email and I will get this stuff to you. Its currently 6:40pm Pacific here...
Case 188 Diesel Engine Specifications Here is an attempt to post the scans from the manual. I had a bit of issue getting the file type correct but here it is...:Banghead
Juskalta : I will send email address. Thanks very much!
We I can't seem to figure out the PM thing on this site. Maybe I'm not approved for it yet. [email protected] Thanks very much.!
Ramm i think you have to have a certain amount of post before it will let you pm. What is this engine out of if you can post some pics of your project and tell us a little bit about it. This site is very helpfull and there are a couple tear down projects on the old 580ck's going on right now on here and it sounds like JUSK will be getting into his engine like you are.I hope to see some info on your project.take care
I sent the pages you will need immediately this morning to the email you provided. If you are concerned about leaving your email posted, just go back and use the Edit function to delete it.
188D Crankshaft Bearings and Liners These are the other pages discussed in this posting. They come directly from a portion of Case Service Manual Section 2024, Engine Block Assembly 188D Diesel Engine
HI I got the info that's great. I can't seem to see a edit function like other sites I use. Oh well. I'm away to the races now I appreciate all your effort! Thanks
Glad to be of some help. Once you can get logged in, the edit function should be available to you, as well as the ability to post pictures. Keep us updated on your progress, as some of us are going to take the same journey and having you 'scout ahead' will be of great value.
The edit is only available for one hour, after one hour you can't change your post. Pretty sure that's the way it works at least. Just flag your own post with the exclamation mark triangle at the bottom left and ask to delete the part you want gone.
well here is the project. I have a 480B extendahoe that I started at -30 and starved the bearings on number 2&3 connecting rods and spun them onto the crack shaft. So it was motor out. I tore it down and found the damage. I've purchased a major engine rebuild kit and had all the machining done. Con rods were trued up and will be getting -10 undersize bearings. Rod bushings are pressed into small end already. cam shaft had 2 journals showing galling so they were spray welded and reground to standard. new cam shaft bearings are in the block now. Crank bearings looked pretty good but are being replaced anyway of course. I also bought a new clutch even though it didn't look too bad but I'm not planning on pulling the engine again ! lol The only other damage I found was the oil light bearing / bushing in the injector pump for the imput shaft was worn and has allowed the drive gear to wear against the backing plate. I got a quote to put the $26 dollar bushing in and it was $950 to disassemble the pump press it in with epoxy and put it back together. So I guess I'll do that myself also. One of my fellow maintenance fellers I work with was a diesel mechanic that has rebuilt Roosa Master injector pumps so I can get advice there also. I'm a 52 yr old farm boy that works in the paint maintenance dept. of a Honda car plant. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined but alas I'm a butcher by trade. So to be honest I'm in way over my head in some aspects of this project but I'm blessed by having many gear head buddies and with the knowledge of the diesel fellas on this site that are willing to give their time to advise and assist this farm boy I'll get through this !!! So its time to get out the plastigauge and see what the bearing tolerances are like. I dry fitted the cylinder sleeves and ran a dial indicator over them and all looks good for projection over the head. I rather doubt I'll be breaking any trail for you guys , but I may wear out my welcome asking questions. Many thanks already to Juskalta for all his help. Out to the shop now.
You will never wear your welcome out by asking questions Ramman. This community thrives on questions.
Jusk has a thread started on his 580ck project and he is looking at getting it ready to rebuild his i have one started on my 580ck stop in and check them out mine is more about the drivetrain and just fixing and painting things check them out some good stuff there and the guys on here are very knowledgeable and helpful. Keep the questions coming someone will answer it
Pistons, Rings and Rods In order to keep this available for others in the future, I am posting these that were scanned for Ramman.
HI fellas I had some computer problems and way toooo busy at work so I have not been back to this site or in the garage much. All the machining is done on my 188D motor and I started reassembly. Things are going well. But I need some more assistance. I've noticed a score mark on the cover behind the injection pump sprocket. It seems the bushing That the input shaft runs in is worn. I've gone to the Case IH parts Web site and have pulled up the drawing for the Roosa Master pump but it doesn't show this bushing.? It is apparently a epoxied, press fit bushing. That info. I got from a diesel injection shop that will not sell parts or really even give info. So guys where is a good source of info. And parts. Thanks
Hopefully, thepumpguysc will see this and respond. I suggest you PM him with your question anyway.
10-4 thanks!
ramman thepumpguysc is the man with these fuel pumps he just helped me with a problem with mine and a great source for parts is Dale at tractorstuff.com he is very knowledgeable about a lot of stuff with these old tractors.
Xpackdeals thanks I'll check that out. I've pm thepumpguysc I hope to hear from him. Thanks guys
Well guys it's been a while and lots had gone on. With big time help from "juskalta" and " The pump guy" I have my motor rebuilt and in the hoe purring like a diesel kitten.! A 27 yr old kid buddy of mine rebuilt the fuel pump top to bottom and it's top notch.the only part of the pump I did was the pilot tube removal and replacement. I'm in the middle of a right side wheel bearing job and at the same time spindle bearings. Is there a trick to getting the spindle shaft to come out once the castle nut is removed.? I'll he darned if I can get it to come out.? I got the arm down a 1/2 inch tapping on castle nut once loosened off but that's it. I also broke a puller trying to pull the arm up. Any advice would be great. Thanks again to everyone that has advised me during this adventure!
ramman ......check this out HeavyEquipmentForums And if you pm 1968 case 580ck he has been there and might have a few pointers that may help seems like he ended up using the BFH to get one of them off hope this helps
Well your bearing maybe worn into the spindle, welded spacer washer under the top link, splines worn at top link and upper spindle (may have to hold the wheel bearing spindle and beat the upper arm one way or the other so the splines line up). It has to come out from the lower end. It may need some heat and a BFH or the torch. Most get welded up do to stripped/worn splines and have to be cut apart. You are most likely going to have a spindle tube issue. You should be able to buy a aftermarket and cut the old off and weld a new one back in place.
Thanks guys ! You said exactly what I suspected ( what I didn't want to hear) ha ha.! I'll get er off but I may need a new hub to weld on. Try to find used I guess or does anybody know of a source for new ones.? Thanks gents.!
Ramman, I rebuilt my front axle years ago and had aftermarket spindle tubes welded on. Getting it apart was a challenge but I managed with some heat a bronze drift and a BFH. I got my replacement ends for the axle through Draper Tractor near Spokane, which were more local to me but you should be able to get them from any aftermarket parts dealer. Once apart, I found the one of the spindles was toast and had Draper send me a used replacement. All new bearings, shimmed to spec and its still good after all these years. Try the usual sources for parts once you know what is needed. Dale may have what you need but since this is AG tractor bits, check locally first since these pieces are heavy to ship.
Well it's apart. Both spindles are no good and one steering arm. Heat it and beat it. Some guy a long time ago realized the right side splines were sloppy so he drilled two holes vertically between the splines of the spindle and steering arm and inserted two 1/4 inch dowel pins. Oh ya blind holes to boot. Man I could have kicked him between the goal posts after the first hour of pounding.! But it's apart the hubs are ok and new parts will arrive in a few days. By then my old shoulders will be healed up, enough to work. Ha ha.! Thanks guys.!
Ramman sounds like a real pita but at least you got it and i noticed i gave you the wrong website for Dale so here is his info he is a great source for new/used stuff www.e-backhoeparts.com 765-378-3396
^^^^^^^^^ Thanks for the info. Seems hard to find equipment wreckers in Ontario The journey continues.!