Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1923 Brockway torpedo LaFarnce firetruck

truklodyte ยท 2009-12-24 16:06

I am helping a friend out with a restoration .Here is a 1923 Brockway firetruck. We have a major problem the original engine is a Water cooled Wisconsin SU 4x5 engine.This engine was put into Cletrac,Hart-Parr,Olivers,Koering cranes,stationary engines(pumps,winches,generators)other makes of trucks.Any assistance will be greatfully excepted on locating a parts engine or even a complete engine.Also any fire aparatus from the 1920's.If you are looking for something I will keep you in mind while I am looking. Thank you all. PS I am not the one in the picture that is my friend.We are also looking for a 1923 reo speedwagon engine too

Replies23
  1. #1truklodyte2009-12-27 06:28

    Here is aditional pictures of what she should look like.

  2. #2truklodyte2010-01-08 17:14

    Thanks to the person that had two wisconsin SU 4x5 engines in tampa fl.Still looking for other parts in this restoration project.

  3. #3truklodyte2010-04-16 06:37

    Just an update .Will add more pictures real soon.Fire pump rebuilt,engine top end being machined,rear end re-built,front end re-built.Hope to have it fired off in about a week.Will try to have video of 87 year old engine running with youtube attachment.

  4. #4Speedpup2010-04-16 21:55

    Some project good luck keep posting pictures!

  5. #5truklodyte2010-04-24 12:20

    Brockway torpedo Here is the updates the engine fires up. The stromburg carb needs to be rebuilt.The spoke wheels are home built because the cost of having them rebuilt was a bit excessive.If anyone has an idea on where we can get a stromburg carburator kit to rebuild it ? Please share the nubers for carb are in the picturs below its all brass.

  6. #6truklodyte2010-04-24 12:25

    Brockway torpedo More pictures and here is Gary cranking her over.If anyone has an idea on where we can get a rebuilding kit for the Stromburg carburator?

  7. #7truklodyte2010-04-24 12:45

    :usa more pics

  8. #8truklodyte2011-08-07 07:26

    Update, Gary has 1923 brockway torpedo 90% done will post pictures as soon as I get them.Truck looks really sharp.

  9. #9blademan1502011-08-07 08:42

    Nice Job, always good to see them come back to life!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #10Stevenbrla2011-08-07 08:49

    Great project! Thanks for sharing!

  11. #11OldandWorn2011-08-07 08:58

    Nice looking restore so far. The mention of a REO Speedwagon made me wonder if they were connected to Diamond REO so I did a little search on the history of the company. Turns out yes, and I also found out how the rock band came up with that name. Gotta love the internet When I first joined the local FD we had a 1949 American LaFrance ladder truck. Lots of fond memories hanging on the side of that thing trying to get your gear on while speeding down the road. Things have changed a bit I would say.

  12. #12alan627b2011-08-07 11:51

    http://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...gc.r_pw.&fp=68b3f9ae28a95316&biw=1603&bih=724 I just G@@GLED Stromberg Carburetor and came up with that.^ Then I G@@GLED parts for them and came up with this... http://www.google.com/search?source...gc.r_pw.&fp=68b3f9ae28a95316&biw=1586&bih=670 Hope one of those helps, cool old truck you are fixing! Alan

  13. #13Hall Scott2011-08-08 19:05

    carbqueen.com for that carb kit....I think

  14. #14truklodyte2011-09-19 08:51

    Thanks will check back ,She is 90% now will have to get pictures of her all set up to go back to work.

  15. #15truklodyte2011-10-04 18:50

    Updated pictures enjoy more to come later

  16. #16edalie2014-10-14 21:22

    Hi all, new to the forum although this is a new project for me. We had our local fire department donate to our local museum a 1924 Brockway Torpedo fire truck. The great news is that this truck was stored indoors for most all of it's life and underwent a restoration in 1974. It in my opinion it is in excellent shape with the exception of the engine. I took the head to a local machine shop today to get some of the cracks repaired. After a complete inventory it appears I am mostly missing the starter which from the documentation I have was a Leece Neville Co. starter #1506. Can anyone please assist with helping me find this starter? The engine is a Wisconsin SU 4x5 #5410. There are various other "unknowns" that if I could find anyone familiar with the engine to talk to would be greatly appreciated. I certainly will post pics as soon as I can. This is not a restoration project but rather a operational project hoping to have it running for this years Christmas parade. Thanks greatly.

  17. #17gafirefool2014-10-28 13:05

    I have a restored 23 Brockway Torpedo fire engine and would like to know more about your truck.

  18. #18edalie2014-10-29 07:07

    Call me 386-462-9649

  19. #19captain kirk2015-03-21 19:56

    i have a 24 model that the starter is missing. do you know of one to buy, or the brand and model no of starter. i have the instruction manual but would like to find a repair manual . need torqe for head bolts, rods ect any help will help. thanks captain kirk

  20. #20captain kirk2015-06-28 14:13

    do you still have extra engine, i need a starter [email protected]

  21. #21truklodyte2016-07-05 17:56

    I really do apologize for being gone for so long. I have been involved in a lot of projects.

  22. #22oldtanker2016-07-05 20:54

    Great project! Wish I had seen it sooner! This rolled through a local town last week. Sister in law sent the photo to me after she learned that I had seen it but couldn't stop to take a picture. Rick

  23. #23BlazinSS9342016-07-06 08:58

    . 1965 B series Mack we are the original owners Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk