Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1947 onan 15 kw gen

petepilot · 2025-01-20 23:29

47 onan 15 kw gen 6 cyl hercules engine still runs good with the exception of the eng control box having been raided by mice or squirls all the wiring has had all the wiring stripped of insulation and some chewed in two. looking for possibly finding a manual with wiring diagram ????????

Replies12
  1. #1MarshallPowerGen2025-01-22 23:21

    Post up the data tag info, should hopefully be able to help hunt something down.

  2. #2petepilot2025-01-23 13:07

    Will do along with pics got lots of snow on the ground here now will be a day or two.thanks for the reply

  3. #3petepilot2025-01-24 12:06
  4. #4petepilot2025-01-24 12:09

    Continental 6 .said herc.before

  5. #5petepilot2025-01-24 12:11
  6. #6petepilot2025-01-24 12:19

    The control box is what I'm most concerned about as to what I.can eliminate. It controls motor only

  7. #7MarshallPowerGen2025-01-24 18:58

    This manual is a start, but no luck on wiring diagrams. https://www.skilledcrafting.com/onanfiles/905-0013%20Onan%20HK%20HN%20Series%20(spec%20A-L)%20Genset%20Instruction%20manual.pdf For that control box; Your best bet would be to replace the wiring and connectors one at a time while cleaning all the contact points/screws. It's tedious, but about all you can do.

  8. #8petepilot2025-01-24 20:21

    I didn't really think I'd find much since thats Mc only. Will take some time to do but will be worth it even for its age that old set has less than 600 hrs on it

  9. #9MarshallPowerGen2025-01-25 13:46

    There is one other manual that has some parts listed: https://skilledcrafting.com/onanfiles/905-0000%20Onan%2015HK%2025HN%20Genset%20Instruction%20&%20Parts%20manual%20(03-1948).pdf Was about to recommend asking around the Smokstak forums about your gen, but actually found where yours was in 2007 by searching 15HK, haha. Smokstak® Antique Engine Community* Now I see that your control box is removed, is part of your concern wiring it back into the gen end? Does this unit have a 12vdc starter, or is it set up to have the exciter crank the engine over?

  10. #10petepilot2025-01-25 20:19

    It has 12 volt .c box is just removed from its mount on the gen nothing disconnected I don’t find any wiring going into the gen. it's self so I think I can handle the rewire.went to start it back in the fall no start found the c box complete full of mouse nests mud daubers and acorn shells _ the biggest hole in it 5/8 in the bottom

  11. #11Welder Dave2025-01-26 04:28

    The old manuals are a lot better than the new manuals they provide with equipment.

  12. #12petepilot2025-01-30 14:48

    That's for sure.don't need a magnifying glass to read them.