Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1948 Austin Western Model 55 Road Grader

chisel_maker ยท 2018-12-15 15:59

Had to sell the old girl this summer. Though people might like to see her.

Replies9
  1. #1Old Doug2018-12-15 16:04

    I would have hated to sell that but i need to sell some of my toys io.

  2. #2chisel_maker2018-12-15 16:12

    It was hard to let her go. My Wife had always said I replaced her with a red head. I guess I'll have to spend more time with the wife again. A few more pics.

  3. #3DB22018-12-15 18:27

    Very nice. What was the hook shaped device extending up from the floorboard? Also what did the modern looking hydraulic valve control ?

  4. #4chisel_maker2018-12-15 19:32

    The hook handle is a lock for blade rotation. The valve was installed to rotate the blade. It was originally a hand crank.

  5. #5petepilot2018-12-15 20:20

    there is another one of those 100 miles from me minus the cab top and not nearly as good looking but still runs. its real hard to steer and has a 4 cyl int gas engine. whats something like that worth?

  6. #6chisel_maker2018-12-15 20:47

    They do steer real hard. I gave $3500 for it 10 years ago. Had a lot of fun with her during that time. We live on a mile long dirt road and she maintained it well. After 10 years I still made a nice profit on her.

  7. #7petepilot2018-12-15 21:39

    one i`m talking about belongs to a friend I have offered to put some kind of power steering unit on it for him but he has never taken me seriously enough to bring it here. he to has a mile or more of gravel to keep up with

  8. #8Clawed Backster2018-12-16 09:34

    I think that there would be a market for a modern version of that machine. Something VERY basic, but large enough to actually get some work done. Not everyone needs a quarter million dollar Cat or Deere.

  9. #9Old Doug2018-12-16 11:33

    Theres a million things wrong with that kind of thinking.For one its the kind of thing i would want.