Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1949 d68u cat

fasstang65 ยท 2009-09-28 01:36

Oil pressure drops from 30psi down to 5psi after it warms up. Running 15w40 oil. Any ideas?

Replies6
  1. #1fasstang652009-09-28 01:50

    1949 d68u cat dozer Anyone know what the weight of this machine would be?

  2. #2OCR2009-09-28 02:51

    1949 d68u cat dozer: Hello fasstang65, For years 1947 to 1959... I only see a D6-4R, and a D6-9U... no 8-U. The 4-R weights 17,730 pounds.... The 9-U weights 17,975 pounds.... This comes from the Caterpillar Performance Handbook... edition 20 & edition 32. I might have over looked something though... but could it a 9-U? Somebody catch me on this, if I'm wrong. OCR

  3. #3Steve Frazier2009-09-28 08:32

    Please post all questions on this machine in this thread. Thanks

  4. #4spitzair2009-09-28 09:31

    OCR, an 8U is identical to a 9U, the only difference being that the 8U is the narrow gauge version. Fasstang65, I run straight 30 weight oil in my D6 9U... Somebody once told me these old engines don't like multi-viscosity oil for some reason... I can't remember off hand what the oil pressure is at idle though... Sorry...

  5. #5hi-ball2009-09-28 14:23

    I had one of those dozers a few years ago, the oil weight was stamped on the dipstick on mine. 30 weight-non detergant.

  6. #6OCR2009-09-28 19:43

    1949 d68u cat: Thanks... :thumbsup :thumbsup OCR