Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1949 Frank Houghs Payloader

austinroth ยท 2016-10-18 12:09

I have what I believe to be a 1949 Frank Houghs Payloader with gas 6 cylinder engine. Serial number is 86163. Im trying to haul it approximately 160 miles but am trying to figure out what this little guy weighs. I have a 14000lb rated trailer with a one-ton truck and am unsure if this guy will do the trick. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1Delmer2016-10-18 13:46

    How about a picture? or a model#, even tire sizes would give us some clue.

  2. #2Curbster2016-10-19 00:13

    There are still two model HA's running that I have seen in this area. Some info here: http://www.contractormag.co.nz/classic-machines/hough/

  3. #3old-iron-habit2016-10-19 08:30

    Interesting photos as the loaders are built as opposites from each other. One has the drive wheels on the loaders engine end and one has the drivers on the bucket end.

  4. #4fast_st2016-10-19 08:34

    I'd bet its not 10,000 pounds. Load it on your trailer and see how she settles down. Okay, I thought those two pics were of the same machine with a very screwy driveline... right rear and left front drive If you do a search for 1949 Hough you get a lot of hits and links to sales brochures.

  5. #5Delmer2016-10-19 14:30

    I've operated one nearly identical to the RWD, and should have bought one of the FWD except with a forklift mast. The second is a much bigger machine than the first. There's such a difference in weight between those two, and those are both 4's if IRRC. I'm waiting for the pics of the machine in question before guessing what another one weighs.

  6. #6e30bradley2016-10-31 07:35

    I have a payloader model HA. It has a 4 cylinder gas Waukesha and I don't think it weighs more than 6k lbs