Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1972 International

stack246 ยท 2016-10-18 20:40

I am thinking of buying a 1972 backhoe for a few jobs around the cabin. I know very little about backhoes and especially not this one. It has a couple of Leaking rams but runs and operates good. I have been told that it has only been used to plow snow in a private driveway for the past few years. The overall appearance of the machine is good for the age. Asking price is 6000. Is there anything in particular should I watch out for. Thanks.

Replies3
  1. #1Willie B2016-10-18 21:20

    You haven't said what model. I'd go to Red Power forum; construction equipment for a better informed crowd. I've used a few IH industrial machines of that vintage. Most have been gear tractors with clutch, and reverser. I find them difficult to fill the bucket without digging holes with the rear tires. A torque converter equipped tractor is easier to load with. This is especially true of four wheel drive tractors. Lift the bucket in bank run, all the weight is removed from the rear tires. I believe IH backhoes were 6 lever control. these take a long while to gain proficiency. Wobble sticks I prefer. Get the best mechanic you can hire to give it a thorough inspection. Best investment you can make. Willie

  2. #2hetkind2016-10-19 15:29

    I think the tractor division went to CASE with the implements...I would look into parts supply before buying. Howard

  3. #3Willie B2016-10-19 17:31

    The local dealer Winmill Equipment Rutland VT was IH, then Dresser, Then Komatsu, Hough was in the mix. They're still here, and do an amazing job with parts. Most come in packaging labeled Komatsu. Many components are not specific to manufacturer such as hydraulic components, where it is done by dimension. Engine parts, and many others are used in farm tractors, so are available from Case/IH dealers. I've never had an IH machine down for more than a couple days for lack of parts. I qualify that saying that buying an orphan machine because of price is very risky business. Most cost far more than purchase price before they work well, and you then have less of a machine than you would if you bought a work ready machine. Hold out for a better tractor. A nice 4 x 4 Case 580 series will serve you well many years with equivalent cost, and less frustration. Willie