Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1950’s D6 9U wont go into gear

bgskyman ยท 2020-04-01 11:14

I had this running smooth until my hydraulics leaked too much and I parked it to fix the leaks. When I got it running again, 2 years later, I cant get it into gear, I fumbled with the clutch forever because I couldn't remember which way engaged or disengaged but now I can either put it in forward or reverse or into gear but not both. I tried adjusting the clutch outer with no luck, pulled the cover off what I think is the clutch housing and found 6" of watery liquid, which I drained and still no luck. I also found grease fittings, for the clutch bearing I think, and greased those. While it was parked I pulled off allot of the protection plates and found a huge rock jammed into a drive sprocket, which I removed and straightened out the plates. Any insight would be good, this thing is a monster when its running and now the hydraulics are good I want to play some.

Replies8
  1. #1bgskyman2020-04-01 11:15

    If anyone has a more specific site or someone with better experience who could help that would also be good. It just a large paper weight right now

  2. #2bccat2020-04-01 11:26

    WWW.ACMOC ,fellas on there should be able to help you out. Suggest you get a operators manual, lots on eBay, also your machine serial # will get you better results on their site

  3. #3Old Magnet2020-04-01 12:36

    Sounds like a clutch/transmission shift interlock problem. If you can get forward and reverse plus all gears but not together I'd suspect some of the shift rail plungers are not always releasing.

  4. #4bgskyman2020-04-01 14:15

    Thanks for the ideas, have a parts and basic manual for it, but need specifics on if its supposed to be a wet or dry clutch.

  5. #5Old Magnet2020-04-01 14:48

    Whats the s/n of the tractor, oil clutch became standard at s/n 9U13263 or 8U6444 but could be retrofitted to earlier dry clutch models. Does it have a fill plug and dip stick on the RH side of the main clutch housing?

  6. #6dozr2020-04-01 15:10

    it has a u shaped stop break on fount of drive shaft push lever all the way to fount fly wheel may have a little rust that will wear off.start with in gear but cluch to the fount not engaded, most time we had to do that anyway then shift fast when you shift should get a little better after use. they are adjustment on stop break.

  7. #7catman132020-04-01 23:14

    sounds like your clutch linkage stuck because of the water. put the trans in neutral and forward / reverser neutral and try an roll the clutch so the bottom is on top and see if is stuck. the cutch lever is forward dis engaged / back is ingaged

  8. #8dozr2020-04-02 06:13

    most get oil from trans and ring gear because most has a boster on steering clutch, start of eferless lever pull, that stared the mess of electric levers we have today.