6as prefix I have all 3 140 blues wires have voltage 2 202 wires have ground have no voltage between can hi can lo. Is there any more test I can do to prove it to be a bad ecm. Cat et does not find the ecm. Thanks for the help.
Any Diagnostic Codes on the monitor..? SERV CODE icon showing..?
It says serv code on the monitor and I can only get it to display the hours.
Are you saying that pressing & holding the switch (2) to the right of the display window for at least 1 second doesn't scroll the display..? At the first press it should scroll from hourmeter to engine RPM, then at the 2nd press to Diagnostic Codes.
Must not have been holding it long enough I got 030 0096.03 0271.05 To display in that order
030.0096.03 is the fuel level sensor 030.0271.05 is the Action Alarm for the Monitor. I take it the alarm doesn't sound as part of the test when you key on.? Did these two Codes just continously scroll or after the 2nd one did you get something like "END"..? What is the tractor doing, or not doing, as the case may be..?
Yes those codes scroll though and say end and just keep doing it there is no auditable alarm the machine will not move it has no transmission function whatsoever.
Hi I would connect ET directly to the ECM with something like this before I would condemn the ECM
Good idea Mark. Tyler, the only pair of twisted cables you will need (out of the two pairs shown) are the ones for the Cat Datalink. The other pair will be for the ATA which is used for Winflash and will only work with a dealer verison of ET. if you have a DT connector pin extraction tool you will be able to remove the relevant pins in the ECM connector(s) and install the ones from the bypass harness.
The diagram below is a design that I think will workin your application. You'll need to double-check the Pin Numbers on the 40-pin transmission ECM connector on the tractor. The Pin Letters of the 9-pin Comms Adapter connector on the RH side will remain the same.
I decided to pull the ecm off and I gave it a shake and I heard parts in it so I think to my self I bet I can fix it. I was wrong had water in it.
"Can I have Is that ECM fcuked for $1000 please Alex."
That's the truth too thanks for all he pointers I'll stow them away for the next job any idea where I can find a good used ecm.
Do you have any more information on your set up I decided to get a plug and ecm out of a junk machine I have just to play around with. It has 4 wires on it two data links and positive and a negative. What are your other two twisted pairs for? Thanks
See post #9 above. The other twisted pair is for the ATA Datalink that is only used for Winflash (software uploading) on Dealer versions of ET. For diagnostics only the Cat Datalink - and + wires that go to Pins 3 & 9 respecitvely on the 40-pin connector on the ECM are required. Make sure not to connect them "backwards".
Ok I missed it I do have to power up the ECM to see it correct.
Yes. You need power on three pins and ground on two. See the diagram in post #10 above. The power can be 12V, it will still be enough to light the ECM up.
Generally you only need one power and ground for basic hook up as the pos+ pins are connected together internally and the neg - pins the same.
I've messed with it a few hours tonight on a c12 truck engine ecm but have yet to get it to work. It may also be bad as it is full of engine oil. I should have taken a photo of the error I keep getting.
Hi, don't use the pin outs that Nige posted above on the C12 ECM your Machine ECM is a MAC ECM and uses the 40 pin connectors your C12 ECM is probably an A3 or A4 either one will have a 70 pin connector THEY ARE COMPLETLEY DIFFERENT IN THERE PIN CONFIGURATION AND YOU COULD DAMAGE THE ECM I posted a thread a fair while ago above different ECM's I will see if I can find it
Mark’s right. The pinouts I posted above will work on an ADEM-II engine ECM plus on most machine ECMs from that same era because they also had the same pinouts as the ADEM-II engine ECM. For example from the schematic of your D5M the machine ECM has exactly the same pinouts as an ADEM-II including both the Cat & ATA Datalinks. If you have a S/N for the C12 or even just the prefix then please post it up. The correct pinouts can be identified from the electrical schematic.
Hi guys I tried to copy a page from a previous thread but I cant get it to look the same the title of the thread is CAT D400E data link/ECM problems here is a copy below if some one could tell me how to copy correctly that would be great ALWAYS CONFIRM PINOUTS WITH SCHEMATIC hi moderators if you think this Reply should be moved please do so Mark ↑ hi mark, please could you show me how to connect the et directly to the ecm?? that would be really handy. Click to expand... Hi mrappels,it is quite easy to power up an ECM via a different power source than the machine. there are a couple of things to be aware of 1- the ECMs will run on either 12v or 24 volt 2- even though multiple power supply's and returns are indicated on electrical schematics only one B+ and one B- is required to operate the ECM for test purposes 3- generally 5 wires are needed for the ECM to communicate with ET B+, B-,key switch B+,CDL + and CDL - 4- be aware that on highway trucks use different diagnostic plugs than machine diagnostic plugs 5- Cat uses a number different ECM's and some even look the same but the connection pin outs are different Here is a list of common ECM's ADAM 2 - has two forty pin connectors used ,as engine ECM MAC- has one or two forty pin connectors ,looks the same as ADEM 2 ECM, used as machine system ECM ADEM 3- has two 70 pin connectors used as engine ECM ABL- Has one or two seventy pin connectors, looks the same as ADEM 3 ECM, used as machine system ECM ADEM 4- has one seventy pin connector and one,one hundred and twenty pin connector, used for engine and machine systems ADEM A4-E2 Has two 64 pin connectors used as engine ECM on later common rail engines (Perkins/Mitsubishi) for the ADEM 2 ECM pin outs B+ to pin#4 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#A B- to pin#5 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#B CDL+ to pin#9 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#D (green) CDL- to pin#3 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#E (brown) switched input B+ to pin#6 For MAC ECM B+ to pin#1 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#A B- to pin#2 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#B CDL+ to pin#9 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#D CDL- to pin#3 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#E switched input B+ to pin#40 For ADEM 3 and 4 ECM (engine) B+ to either 48,52 or 53 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#A B- to either 63,65 or 67 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#B CD+L to pin#8 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#D CD-L to pin#9 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#E switched input B+ to pin #70 For ADEM 3 and 4 (machine) B+ to pin#1 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#A B- to pin #2 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#B CDL+ to pin #8 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#D CDL- to pin#7 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#E switched input B+ to pin #58 for A4 E2 ECM B+ to pin#1,2,9 or 10 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#A B- to pin #7,8,15 or 16 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#B CDL+ to pin #23 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#D CDL- to pi #24 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#E switched input to pin#40 some cat part numbers that may be useful diagnostic connector P# 8T8736 A3 ECM connector 160-7689 sockets for above 9x3402 A2 ECM connector 3E6286 A3 ABL ECM connector 160-7690 MAC ECM connector 101-0205 A4E2 ECM connector 245-1042 sockets for above 267-9572 here is some screen shots of ECM ET stand alone Data Mark250 , Sep 3, 2017 Report #9 + Quote Reply mrappels likes this. Mark250 Senior Member Joined: Aug 30, 2015 Messages: 957 Occupation: heavy equipment technician Location: victoria,Australia the on highway truck ECM's and some machines i.e. D400E communicate to ET via the ATA protocol. in this case the CAT data link is not used the ECM pinouts will be in the same position but the connections to the diagnostic plug will be different (not using the on highway adapter) For ADEM 3 and 4 ( Engine ECM ) B+ to pin# 48,52 or 53 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#A B- to pin# 63,65 or 67 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#B ATA+ to pin #8 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#J ATA- to pin #9 also connect to diagnostic connector pin#H key switch B+ to pin#70 Mark Mark250 , Sep 3, 2017 Report #10 + Quote Reply mrappels likes this. rmllarue91 Senior Member Joined: Apr 17, 2014 Messages: 506 Occupation: field technician Location: northeast pa Hey guys I have a d400e 2yr00259 that had lots of electrical issues most went back to ground and harness issues. I would clean and fix all grounds and inspect harness then
I was going off the correct diagram for the c12. I'd like to see that thread I'll search for it
Here's the thread - HeavyEquipmentForums
I'll have to study this very closely I'll report back
Back to the d5m I've found a ecm with the correct number but it is currently programmed for a 140h grade is it possible that they can program it for the d5m with out to much trouble
There used to be. It requires factory passwords to make the software change. If a dealer TC called it in passwords were available over the phone. AFAIK that service is no longer availabble. You could ask your dealer I suppose.
I talked to them about it there where unsure on they seemed to think of it's a good box then it would be ok.
The other problem is that it requires the dealer version of ET to actually carry out the flash upload. That limits the options of who can actually do the reflashing.
Good news I got my break out harness to work. Bad news still no ecm for the dozer.
Any idea what a blinking hour read out on the dash means cant seem to find it in the book there is no ecm in the machine currently I just playing around fixing other things and noticed it was blinking
i would say it is looking for a signal from the non existent ECM. as the ECM supply's data to the monitor via the cat data link
I was kinda thinking that I work before with the mad box hooked up I guess I'll just worry about it once I get the ecm if it's still goofy.
Got the used new to me ecm in and got the machine moving and all calibrated up the dash is still only blinking the hours. I'm thinking it's a wire problem. Found a leak between the engine and Tc got to fix that up bit I'll get there. Thanks again for the help.