Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1952 International TD9 Decompression Issue

IHTD9MALO · 2023-06-08 14:58

i bought an old TD9 MALO with a motor that turns good, the mag works good, however when the starter attempts to work it can’t turn enough. I removed the starter and reinstalled and it’s turning nice. When the plugs are removed it turns perfect, when the plugs are not in the dozer it doesn’t have the pressure release it needs To turn over. Any ideas help, I’ll post again if I figure it out . Shes a beauty! Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1Old Doug2023-06-08 18:55

    Do you know the way to start it? Could the person that had it before show you?

  2. #2IHTD9MALO2023-06-08 19:57

    Yes I know how to start, it turns almost the same decompressed or not. Only with the plugs out does it spin easily.

  3. #31693TA2023-06-08 20:19

    Those should dump the excess compression into the manifold and you can hear it in the exhaust when the engine is cranking to start on gasoline. I'd bet your compression release linkage has worn joints or bellcrank precluding it's correct operation. You also could have a weak battery, defective or corroded secondary cables, or terminals. Easy to rule out the battery with a good dynamic load test. However the linkage needed to be maintained on those and some lost actuation easily with wear.

  4. #4IHTD9MALO2023-06-09 11:05

    I picked up a brand new battery. This is a known issue I bought it with no spark. I’m going to pull all plugs and turn today and see if there is exhaust pressure in each cylinder.

  5. #556wrench2023-06-09 15:15

    No spark indicates a problem with the magneto. The engine starts on lower compression for the gas and then you switch it to the higher compression for diesel. There is no actual decompressor as such

  6. #6td14steve2023-06-09 15:47

    sounds like there are linkage problems, when you move the lever there is a lot going on, trace it out and make sure everything is moving and operating , there is a cutout switch that cuts the mag out when you throw the lever to diesel and I would check that it is working . If you have the books for the machine they are a big help, mine are long gone or I would look them up for you. Steve

  7. #7td14steve2023-06-09 15:54

    Also go over to the redpower forums a wealth of knowledge on the old crawlers there. Steve

  8. #81693TA2023-06-09 18:30

    I can get a copy of the operator's manual and possibly a service manual but need the serial number for the tractor. It's been a long time but I'll bet I could start one of those in my sleep but the linkage has to be in proper adjustment and kept lubricated so it stays correct.

  9. #9IHTD9MALO2023-06-15 12:46

    Serial number is 65309D Serial 49356 M (Malo) the guy I bought it from swore the starter was good, it was not good. I just received a call from the shop today and the armature is bad. next question….. where do I find a starter for this bad boy?

  10. #10hector gemme2023-06-15 15:39

    The 65309d is the fuel injection pump

  11. #11IHTD9MALO2023-06-15 20:04

    Ok so I found a starter for the TD9 I think. There is a feller in Sault St Marie Ontario who may have a few. Otherwise it’s not looking good. If anyone else needs one please let me know what type, he has a few I can see if he has the right one next week when I visit him. Sorry for all the posts, the starter was the source of the trouble and hopefully problems solved in a couple weeks.

  12. #1256wrench2023-06-16 10:05

    It may be the same starter as a WD9 wheeled tractor