Story goes it was sitting for 15 years or so. Owner was clearing the property with it and parked it, he said it ran fine and everything worked on it when parked. People starting stealing stuff off of it over time, its at an end of a road near the river and it became a target for beer bottles to throw at it appears because it has a ton of broken bottles in the floor boards. The undercarriage is in surprising decent shape. It's not much but it's mine.
So whatcha gonna do with it?
I going try and get it usable it's going to be a lot but I have pulled the injectors and scoped the cylinders so far. There is no water in the cylinders, the starter however was full of water. I was able to spin over engine after I removed the starter so it's no frozen up.
Well that's a great start. Keep posting lots of pics, I'd like to watch the progress.
You might want to preemptively send the injector pump out for service. There is a fiber washer in the middle of it that turns into "mouse turds" at the worst possible time and the machine stops. The replacement washer is made of a different material that is much more robust. Good luck, have fun, be safe. Rick
Heck just getting it out of the weeds made it look a lot better already. I imagine with the exhaust open to years of Alabama rain, there's not much hope the turbo will spin?
The good thing is they were a popular machine and there should be a lot of used parts out there. Contact the local JD dealer and see if they are part of the used parts dealer network. If not ask if they know any shops that are.
Turbo does spin but has some slack in it. My mini hoe moved with out much of a problem. I was surprised at how well it did roll.
I’ve located the radiator, hood and grille so far. Needing an air filter intake cover, several small things so far. Goal is to get it running if it will & check out transmission. My case 1845 has that style injection pump. It will definitely quit at the worst time
That old gal sure has a fat bottom under her. Are the steering clutches releasing OK? Good luck and keep us posted.
That's a real Swamp tractor, with those massive track shoes! Did she come from Louisiana??
Fat bottom girls, you make the rocking world go round...
I've owned a couple J450's over the years, a 450B and a 450C I now have a JD450E of the three the C was the best machine, it was the only turbo charged of the three. I would have liked to had a JD450C from new, they were the cats meow in the light dozer world as far as I'm concerned. I'm going to watch this thread, good luck with the project.
Carefully examine the frame rails for any cracks or broken bolts. Replace and helicoil if stripped all bolts with a grade 8 at this point. I fishplated the frame rails the entire length on my B series dozer with 1/4” steel because of the cracks that do develop over 50 years of work.
I agree, the frames are bolted to the steering clutch housings and are weak points, as is where the yoke bolts to the frame, both places to watch.
Yea it measures 32” on the pads. Yes they seem to be releasing.
32”on the pads, I’m not sure but we have some swampy areas here in lower Alabama
Keep her on the soil and it will be fine. That is a gem, I hope you get it running without trouble.
I think it would be great to make a video of the first time you fire her up!!!
I will make it happen