Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1953 d8 cat value?

Stitch ยท 2016-01-26 22:48

I acquired a 1953 cat d8 that will soon be for sale. It has a cab and roll bars, the under carriage looks good and it runs and operates as it should. What should i be asking for it?

Replies6
  1. #1Delmer2016-01-27 07:12

    I saw one sell at auction for $5,000. That was when scrap was about double what it is now. I'd guess 5-10, not seeing it.

  2. #2alskdjfhg2016-01-27 12:33

    There is a '58 D8 on purple wave right now at 3,600. Tomorrow is the last day of the auction.

  3. #3alskdjfhg2016-01-28 11:55

    http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?160128/I1805 Final sale price.

  4. #4old-iron-habit2016-01-28 17:21

    That 14A is a few years newer than the 1953 2U. Not a bad price if it works as good as they say. The 14A will have a few more ponies, an oil clutch and operators platform pony starting also. "Edit: This one has been converted to direct electric start," The 1953 2U D8 will not have an oil clutch unless the serial number is over 20,???. Still a 2U in decent shape should bring $5,000.00. They are still a good machine for a hobbiest and will go forever.

  5. #5Old Magnet2016-01-28 22:57

    1953 production was s/n 2U19,728 to 23,537. (end of production) Oil clutch standard at s/n 21,513. Many early dry clutch units were converted to oil clutch with field change over back to 2U537-up Last one I saw sell locally was an excellent condition ag machine with matching Cat ripper for $5,000 and that was three years ago.

  6. #6Ronsii2016-01-29 00:16

    The last 2U I picked up a few years before scrap was up got for 3500 with a clearing blade on it, a straight blade, and a hyster D8 winch on the back... runs ok, dry clutch, good undercarriage