Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1954 Cat 212 Grader

Corhino ยท 2024-08-07 16:26

I bought this grader in the hopes to push back the snow banks on the 12 miles of road I need to plow each winter. It appears it need a rebuilt clutch and possible throwout bearing(s). It runs strong (in one place) and is 99% original equipment. I am struggling to find anyone to work on it, let alone getting or rebuilding parts for it. I am located in Marion, MT. Any suggestions? If not, is anyone interested in buying it as a collectors item? Pics can be provided by request. Thank you for your interest.

Replies9
  1. #1Tyler d4c2024-08-07 17:32

    If you where near by I'd take on the job. For a 27 year old it would be the second one I'd had worked on. Cat still has parts available for it. About any independent mechanic would probably take it on I'd think

  2. #2Corhino2024-08-07 18:02

    Hi Tyler, thank you for your reply. If I may ask, where are you located? From your experience, does the motor need to be pulled to rebuild the clutch plates and/or throwout bearing(s)?

  3. #3Tyler d4c2024-08-07 20:11

    Yes it does about 8 bolts a linkage and a fuel line and the engine is out. I'm in western pa probably 2000 miles away

  4. #4JaredV2024-08-07 22:16

    Sounds like a honeymoon in Montana is the answer. Make a few bucks to pay for the trip, too. I'm sure she'd be happy to let you wrench for a day or two.

  5. #5Tyler d4c2024-08-08 04:53

    She would probably go for but I'm not to keen on the idea

  6. #6Corhino2024-08-08 08:36

    Thank you Tyler!

  7. #7eastroad2024-09-01 10:09

    Contact General Gear in Boise. John should be able to fix you up with parts and maybe a lead on a shop to do the job.

  8. #8OzDozer2024-09-01 10:54

    For the old Cat graders you can fabricate an engine carriage to slide the engine back on rollers. It makes removal and replacement and clutch shaft alignment a lot easier. You didn't provide a serial number so we could work out whether your machine has a dry clutch or an oil clutch. Most Cats had oil clutches as standard or an option by 1955.

  9. #9Corhino2024-09-02 23:15

    Thank you OzDozer and eastroad for your suggestions. The pieces are beginning to fall together.