Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

galion 503L transmission-will not go into reverse.

kevmo777 · 2024-08-08 20:55

Just bought a 503L and it is a project. Just got running and can't get it in reverse. Push the lever all the way and grinds and throws out. Also, when going into forward and letting out the clutch it is very noisey- sounds like a bearing going out..... anyone have any experience in the forward and reverse drive? Can I get to them via the side cover? I don't know much about this transaxle so any recommendations on a parts manual, or is it simple enough to figure out when I get inside?

Replies9
  1. #1kevmo7772024-08-18 04:44

    Pulled the side cover and need some gears. The drive gear and reverse needs replacing. Anyone got a parts manual or information on finding these parts?

  2. #2FWD2024-08-18 18:14

    Weller Parts in Great Bend, Kansas 800-285-9375. I have bought parts from them. Good to deal with! FWD

  3. #3Crux2024-08-19 10:05

    I have a parts manual for the 503, but its non-shuttle shift. For the 503L, no parts manual, but have both the Service Manual and Operators Manual. These are the JenSales reprints and usually on ebay Which engine do you have?

  4. #4kevmo7772024-08-19 12:39

    6 cylinder gas

  5. #5Clyde Hathaway2024-08-19 17:58

    I have a 503L with 353 detroit, about 1975 build with the shuttle F/R. I will look at my parts book on Wednesday and pm you if I find the right pages. I think SN is GM06886. I get parts from Komatsu dealer if I give them the part number. They cannot look up parts.

  6. #6Clyde Hathaway2024-08-21 16:10

    This is a picture of the transmission for the Detroit bell housing. It may fit the Waukesha and IH but the book shows a "creeper transmission" option for those two machines. Attached is a picture of the emergency brake setup on my transmission. I will be happy to pm you the pages of the parts blowup if you think it is what you have.

  7. #7kevmo7772024-08-22 15:16

    That looks like mine, pretty sure they all the same. I don’t have the creeper option and mine is the IH gas. That would be great if I could get the pages for the parts blowup! Thank you sir!

  8. #8Clyde Hathaway2024-08-23 08:46

    I sent you the pages you need. If you ever need any more, just let me know. I have the operators manual also. Good luck finding parts.

  9. #9kevmo7772024-08-23 19:13

    Thank you sir!