Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1958 Cat D7 17a dozer blade cylinders

Molsenmotorsport · 2025-05-14 08:23

I have a 1958 Cat D7 17A dozer and my blade cylinders have seen better days. The right side seal retainer broke a bolt then cracked the corner of the seal retainer off. Both right and left cylinder shafts are grooved from a lifetime of grit. The dozer serial number is gone. Are replacement cylinders either original or aftermarket available? I’m trying to avoid having to weld, turn & rechrome the shafts and fabricating a new seal retainer plate. Any suggestions?

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2025-05-14 09:37

    It might be possible to identify the cylinders if you look at the head for a Part Number cast into the metal. Back in those days the hydraulic system had a different Serial Number to the tractor so the tractor S/N would be no help anyway.

  2. #2hector gemme2025-05-14 15:55

    I have the 2 aluminium retainer seal 1j344 and should have the shim and maybe more for the d7-17a hydrolic cylinde

  3. #3epirbalex2025-05-14 17:52

    Won't help this issue but next time you need your machine number or at least the number of your motor if its been swapped its in the casting below the magneto . Picture is of my D47U number but its the same place on my D7 . Just below the little stick on the flat area .

  4. #4Molsenmotorsport2025-05-15 02:42

    Thanks, I’ll check it out