Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1958 caterpillar dozer pushrod

JohnCapko ยท 2024-05-29 15:33

I have a 1958 D7 17a dozer. A rocker spring cup was rusted stuck and turning over the engine resulted in a bent pushrod. I contacted caterpillar, gave them the info I had (year, serial number, engine stamp number) but they said they dont have records of what went into those engines/parts numbers, but they probably had the parts. I told them the pushrod was 20" long and 1/2 inch wide, but they said they cant search their database unless they use model numbers/parts numbers. Do any of you guys/gals know that part number so cat can find it, or know where I can find a replacement pushrod? Thanks. Since the time I bent the pushrod and removed it, and unstuck the cup, my neighbor and I have actually got the engine to run on 3 cylinders so I am confident it will do great on 4!

Replies16
  1. #1kshansen2024-05-29 16:17

    Guys here are good but might be worth your time to check here too: D7 17a I've been trying to pick up this D7 for years, and I think this spring I will finally be able to take it home! I know the owner well and he's not one who likes... www.acmoc.org Who knows might be someone there has the push rod you need just sitting in their shed!

  2. #2Old Magnet2024-05-29 20:17

    Pushrod part # 9H6236. Plenty available new and used.... 9H6236 Parts For Sale | MachineryTrader.com 9H6236 Parts For Sale | MachineryTrader.com at MachineryTrader.com www.machinerytrader.com

  3. #3hector gemme2024-05-30 14:25

    I have some push rod for D7 =20 inchs 1/2 inch

  4. #4Welder Dave2024-05-30 16:57

    The aftermarket one in Kentucky is only $113,000.00+! Must be made of gold.

  5. #5kshansen2024-05-30 19:01

    Or does it come packed inside a D7? Or is it just a typo and should say $113.00?

  6. #6Welder Dave2024-05-30 20:30

    It's certainly not a scam to draw people in. Scare them away maybe??

  7. #7JohnCapko2024-06-02 11:19

    Thank you VERY much for the information. I was able to order pushrods.

  8. #8kshansen2024-06-02 13:26

    Now you know you have to post a video of it running, right!

  9. #9chidog2024-06-02 16:14

    Just me but I'd take care of a bent push rod by straightening it. If worse came to worse I'd be making one from drill rod. That is if they weren't available and or I needed it now.

  10. #10JohnCapko2024-06-02 22:26

    I have the video of it starting on 3 cylinders. I can't get the video file to save to my computer. Best I can do with my limited computer savvy, its on Facebook on my page if you want to see it.

  11. #11JohnCapko2024-07-21 23:11

    You guys are great! I was able to install new pushrods and get the beast running. If you want to see the engine running, heres the link. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=474243238668545

  12. #12Welder Dave2024-07-22 01:06

    Darn, says video unavailable.

  13. #13Tinkerer2024-07-22 08:00

    This is what I see. Facebook blocking it from us ?

  14. #14JohnCapko2024-08-15 11:56

    Hi guys! I have a question and a request. my 1958 cat d7 17a clutch oil dipstick is trashed, can anyone post a pic of one along with dimensions so I can make or buy one?(the cap is all that left of mine, the weld to the skinny part that goes down into the oil is gone) Also, the book is a little confusing as to transmission oil. do I use Sae30 for the transmission and 80 or 90 wt gear oil for the final drives? thanks.

  15. #15bccat2024-08-15 23:53
  16. #16chidog2024-08-16 02:14

    I'd like to know what it means by "Gear compartments" And why it says Transmission final drive? And not Transmission and final drive? D8H everything has Series 3 SAE 30 in everything except the Hydraulic tank. But then the final drives are pressure lubed and filtered.