Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1959 cat d4 7u questions

597ud4 ยท 2015-05-17 22:00

Alright I "inherited" an old d4 from my grandfather who passed away recently and I have a few questions about the machine. First is it has an older hyster d4 winch on it that has a chunk missing up top so the question is does the winch share oil with the ring and pinion gears where it is bolted to the tractor. Second the clutch and the trans oil have a little water in them so what is the best way to flush these types of things for as cheap as possible, im a high school student still. I grew up playing on old cable 8's and 7's and working on the stuff with my grandfather so I know a little bit but not quite enough.

Replies29
  1. #1Old Magnet2015-05-17 23:12

    The winch oil is separate from the machine. A diesel flush for the transmission is typical. Clutch compartment should be dry unless it is an oil clutch, just drain it off. If it really is an oil clutch you can do the diesel flush there to.

  2. #2597ud42015-05-18 07:37

    Thanks, it is an oil clutch. I have been told kerosene works in the past but I have been wary of ruining something I dont have the money to rebuild.

  3. #3Old Magnet2015-05-18 11:24

    Kerosene was the choice of the past but that has become pricey stuff and the Diesel works just as well. You don't need to fill the compartments, just enough for the parts to dip and splash while you run it back and forth for a few minutes then dump and replace with correct oil.

  4. #4TXGOAT2015-05-18 15:24

    I have a D4 6U, # 4774.... love it. It had a good deal of water in the transmission. I let it drain overnight and flushed it with diesel and it seems to be fine.

  5. #5Oletrapper2015-05-18 21:02

    Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum and also have a few questions on a D-4. I have looked everywhere for lube information and can't find anything. I also have water in transmission and final drive. I guess I'll take the advice given to 597 and flush with the fuel oil. What gear oil should be used in those areas. Should it use gear oil or hydraulic oil? My next question, The undercarriage has rollers that can be greased. I think they are allimite button grease fittings. Can find any information on what grease fitting to use. I am referring to the diameter of the fitting. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. This is a 1952 D-4. Just got it running today. Runs great. Pony motor needs rear main crank seal. I can probably pull the flywheel and get to it. Not sure yet. Again, no information available. Sorry for rambling. Thanks, Oletrapper

  6. #6Old Magnet2015-05-19 03:29

    You need to shop ebay for a "Operations and Maintenance" manual for the 6U/7U D4 for lubrication instructions and more. Trans & finals take 90wt gear oil. Rollers have a 7/8" dia. button head size. Do not use grease, they take a light "00" lube applied with a "volume filler" that is low pressure and will not blow out the seals.

  7. #7Oletrapper2015-05-19 06:26

    7/8" button Thank you Old Magnet, Any idea where I could get the 00 grease? I think I found the grease tool for the 7/8" button. Thanks again, Oletrapper

  8. #8Oletrapper2015-05-19 06:34

    Also meant to ask, is the volume filler gun a special grease gun? I guess I still have lots of research to do. Thanks again.

  9. #9Old Magnet2015-05-19 09:47

    Also known as "Track & Roller Lube" and "Corn Head Grease" It's a lite grease that will flow.

  10. #10Old Magnet2015-05-19 09:53

    Old style looked like this, there are more modern versions around but they ain't cheap. Button adapter can be had from "McMaster", sometimes on ebay.

  11. #11Oletrapper2015-05-20 09:12

    Your right, they're not cheap. May have to improvise. Worked on the D-4 last night. Found that the two areas that had water were the wet clutch area and the transmission area. The bad news is that when we went to drain the final drive on each side, the drain plugs had been removed. Must now look for replacement plugs and also locate the fill plugs then flush the final drives also. Oh well, we shall see. Sure hope there are no leaks.

  12. #12Old Magnet2015-05-20 09:55

    Are you sure your looking at the right plugs? It was common to leave out the steering clutch compartment plugs. Would be pretty strange to not have the finals drain plugs in place. Fill plugs are on the elbows in back. Finals drain plugs are vertical under the tractor, back side of gear case.

  13. #13Old Magnet2015-05-20 13:14

    Looks like they've hit the after market. http://www.ebay.com/itm/7H1680-Comp...535?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c68776df

  14. #14TXGOAT2015-05-20 14:38

    I think Cat still has the big flanged gearbox plugs with the square or hex socket.

  15. #15Oletrapper2015-05-20 15:32

    Plugs Your probably right. Going to clean and investigate tomorrow and look for other plugs.

  16. #16Former Wrench2015-05-20 16:21

    It has been so long since I seen one of these (lube pump) I had forgotten about them. Thanks for the memory.

  17. #17Oletrapper2015-05-20 18:15

    Found these. Old Magnet, Found these today. I think they are the fill plugs for the finals. Guess you just fill to the top and your done. No water in this area either. That's a plus. Hope I can attach photo.

  18. #18Old Magnet2015-05-20 20:39

    Yes, those are the fill plugs. If there is any water in there they would be overfull but you'd need to crack the drain plugs to check.

  19. #19597ud42015-05-20 21:25

    Im starting to have a little trouble with the pony now I throw the compression release and she wants to just die and has if I dont release it quick or get the big motor running and the clutch to make it turn the big motor doesn't want to stay engaged if I dont hold it and sometimes it doesn't release if the pony dies. On top of it all it started to burn a little oil when the oil was a little thin dont think it is with the new sae 30 I put in, the pony motor also doesn't like to start too easy unless I hit it with either or choke it with me hand and it dies a lot. It has in the seat starting so the pony clutch is a little different.

  20. #20Old Magnet2015-05-20 22:22

    Better get yourself signed up on the ACMOC site. (Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club). They love to go on and on about pony motors.

  21. #21Oletrapper2015-05-21 06:40

    Old Magnet, I have ordered a book from ebay. Hopefully it will show all fill plugs and drain plugs. In the photo, is the drain plug directly below the larger fill plug? Or is it underneath? I have removed about a ton of dirt looking for plugs. lol At least it is getting a good cleaning. I am amazed at how well the engine starts and runs. It is almost like this D-4 had a complete overhaul shortly before it was left sitting in a field. Previous owner died suddenly and it was just left sitting there. Has sat there for 10 years. Thanks for your help. OT This weekend I will try to remove the pony motor flywheel to get at the seal. 1 1/4" nut holds it on. I have a puller and hopefully it comes off easily. And hopefully, the book will shed some light on it as well. Will try to post more photos as I go along.

  22. #22Old Magnet2015-05-21 10:46

    Look under the tractor. The FD plugs (same type as the rest of the drain plugs) are vertical on the back side of the FD case facing inward. Look for the bolted on semi circle shaped cover plate, that's where you will find them.

  23. #23597ud42015-05-29 07:27

    Ok so I have a family friend who wants me to do some grading with the dozer for him and the deal is he pays for fuel and will get me the oil to change the trans clutch and finals but I need to know what kinds and how much. I know 90wt for the trans and finals but not how much I also need to know both what kind and how much for the clutch.

  24. #24Oletrapper2015-05-29 07:51

    Fill to? Old Magnet, Service manual arrived. Unfortunately there are no fluid level specs. Can I assume that the fill plug on the FD is fill to top of fill plug as I can't find any overflow plug on the vertical FD plate. Thanks, OT

  25. #25Old Magnet2015-05-29 10:18

    You are correct on the fill level for the finals. Lube info is to found in the "Operation and Maintenance Instructions" for the Caterpillar D4 s/n 6U1-up and 7U1-up. Form #12244-5 edition or higher. They usually show up on ebay.

  26. #26Old Junk Man2015-06-07 18:53

    Ive got a 49 & 7U serial 5382. I don't think the pony engine has a rear seal. I put rings in my pony engine 30+ years ago and I remember it didn't have cam bearings or a oil pump. I run the pony engine on a mixture of 50-50 lucas and 30 weight engine oil. There is a pinion gear and a latch that holds the pinion in contact with the ring gear when starting. you shouldn't have to hold the handle. Before starting the pony engage the starter pinion first. That keeps from grinding the pinion trying to engage it. You can unbolt the whole starter pinion & starting clutch assembly and remove it as a unit. If your finals are leaking In hot weather use as heavy of grease as you can find.

  27. #27Mud Logger2015-06-12 10:56

    I remember back in the day my dad had a couple D4-7U's through the years. He or some one before would remove and replace the old button head fittings on the rollers and idlers with regular grease zerts, and just use modern grease, but only 1 or 2 pumps per day. The old button head always seamed to not connect right and leak while lubing.

  28. #28mr septic2019-12-05 06:07

    how can I check the final drive oil if I have a hyster d4d winch on my machine I just bougth it year 1959 d47u thanks for any info mr septic

  29. #29Old Magnet2019-12-05 11:03

    The two 1-1/4" plugs sticking out the back of the winch are now your new final drive fill plugs.