Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3cyl diesel JD 350ce wont stay running! Help!

jimemco ยท 2015-05-18 08:49

Hi guys,I have a 350JD dozer with a 3152CT on the engine nameplate. It will start,run fine for 30-40 seconds then slowly die to a stop,sputtering. What the heck is going on? I changed the fuel filter and emptied sump well and lines from fuel tank (probably the first for both after sitting for 5 years),bled air from fuel system. Problem has been gradually getting worse up to this point since running it from last july to october,the "sputtering" issue. Now it wont keep running at all. Help? Thanks guys!

Replies10
  1. #1Delmer2015-05-18 09:16

    Your fuel pumps are pulling against a vacuum/blockage and it dies when it can't pull any more fuel. Or there's a blockage in the return fitting. You can try blowing air back into the tank through the fuel lines. Did you take the screen out of the tank to inspect? Open up the lines immediately after it stalls and see where the vacuum is, or use the priming lever on the lift pump to see if it's pumping fuel, or air, or pulling a vacuum. If the fuel supply isn't the problem, then check the return fitting for blockage.

  2. #2jimemco2015-05-18 09:24

    Also want to know where the "return" line from the injectors go! It's a rubber line,so obviously low pressure. Does it go back to the fuel lift pump on the other side of the engine,or back to the fuel tank somewhere? And could it be plugged? Thanks

  3. #3jimemco2015-05-18 09:31

    Thanks Delmer, Immediately after it dies,I cracked the inlet line from the fuel filter at the injection pump and there was a considerable amount of pressure at that point. So I assumed that the lift pump is providing adequate fuel and pressure to the injection pump. Fuel looks real good at that point. Also,where is the fuel screen you're talking about? Is it in the fuel tank or where? Like I said,I emptied the sump area of the bottom of fuel tank and got about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of brown "sludge and water from there! Had to remove the larger fittings due to the smaller lines and petcock being super plugged! Like I said,it probably had'nt been done in years! Also.I didn't see a priming lever on the lift pump. Is it hidden from plain view? thanks

  4. #4Delmer2015-05-18 09:42

    The screen is the intake inside the tank, usually have to drain the tank and remove the fitting. Sounds like draining the tank and flushing it would be worthwhile. With that much garbage, I wouldn't trust the fuel supply without a gauge teed into the injection pump supply so you can see exactly what the pressure is as it stalls. The other possibility is the return check ball fitting on the injection pump. I'm not a pump expert, this is just what I've read here, might not apply to your pump even. If you can find and remove the fitting on the top of the injection pump that the return line hooks to, take it off and clean the gunk out, and post a pic of the gunk. The lift pump might not have a priming lever, usually it's on one side of the bottom half of the pump, sort of a triangle shaped lever arm.

  5. #5jimemco2015-05-18 09:46

    Ok,Delmer,I will do that in about an hour! I'll let you know. Thanks again! Jim

  6. #6Delmer2015-05-18 09:46

    If it's a 350 "C", then it should have the priming lever and fuel tank screen (fuel filter). Go to jdparts.com and look it up on the parts catalog to see what they should look like.

  7. #7Delmer2015-05-18 10:06

    I posted right after you did, so just posting again so you see my last post. Notice I said "should", the tank screen could be long gone, and the fuel pump could have been switched.

  8. #8Don k2015-05-18 10:14

    If your tank was that dirty your fuel filter is probably dirty again. Mine was like that on my 450 C and I ended up taking off the tank and pressure washing the inside. Also installed a cheap aftermarket fuel filter before the JD filter. No problems since then.

  9. #9jimemco2015-05-19 08:04

    Well.well.well! How could something so little cause so much problems? Got it now ! It WAS the little check-ball in the fitting on top of the injector pump! On the 3/16ths line of the return. Took it out,pressed in on the tiny ball with a scribe/pick. Ball was very hesitant to move at first and seemed really "sticky" in there. Took some carb cleaner spray,douched it really good while pressing in the ball numerous times. Eventually the ball freed up and would spring back into the seat when depressed! Just like new! Teflon-taped the fittings,reassembled and replaced onto top of the injector pump and attached line. Good as new! Ran excellent the first start and stayed running. Put diesel additive into fresh clean tank of fuel for future maintenance cleaning of check-balls,injectors etc. Thanks Delmer and all who responded! Y'all were a big help! Jim

  10. #10Delmer2015-05-19 08:56

    Keep draining a little out of the tank drain before you start it, every day until it comes clean, then every week or so. If that screen was missing then you're more likely to have an issue with the fuel lines blocking somewhere else. That check ball gets clogged up with disintegrating pump guts, so if you see debris in there it may eventually come apart and overspeed the engine.