Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1959 D7 !7A cable dozer issue

Shane Cockle · 2025-04-03 18:12

I have aquired an old D7 17A dozer, the blade is driven by a direct drive cable winch on the front of the engine, was working fine last fall, and then it just want to raise on its own all of the time and i cannot get it to go down, from what i have read so far, sounds like the clutches have piled up. Does anyone have any info on how to repair, or where i could find some parts for the old girl? Thanks, Shane

Replies7
  1. #1Old Magnet2025-04-03 19:19

    Start with checking adjustments.....

  2. #2Tones2025-04-03 20:07

    Don't do these adjustments with the engine running. A Cat safety film I had to watch in my teens showed a gruesome result.

  3. #3Rustyshacklford2025-04-05 21:18

    Was it called “The Gambler?”

  4. #4Tones2025-04-05 23:22

    Geez mate, now you're asking a very difficult question. It's got to be 60yrs ago. The film was about adjusting all Cat CCUs.

  5. #5LCA0782025-04-06 08:50

    I never knew Cat had a cable control unit mounted to the front the machine. Guess I never saw one since the blade would generally be blocking it's view. Was it direct driven by the engine from a shaft on the crank pulley that went under the radiator?

  6. #6bccat2025-04-06 11:33

    U bet

  7. #7Shane Cockle2025-04-06 12:00

    It’s direct drive from the engine, but dumb me not thinking, the 3/4 bolt in the center of the winch is left hand thread, ( maybe I said that wrong, but I had to turn to the right to loosen). I’m thinking I just wasted a winter of waiting to fix, but I think now I can set all of the adjustments and should be fine. Old Magnet, thanks for the pic diagram, I hope this was just a good up on me, but the winch turns freely now when I loosened the center bomt