Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1959 Michigan 75 A

GreenMtnMan ยท 2012-10-03 04:43

I joined the forum recently, some may recognize me from other forums. I have a 1959 75 A which I am having rebuilt at a local heavy equipment shop. They are working on it in between regular jobs at a reduced rate, but it's taking them awhile. I can try to put up some pics if anyones interested.

Replies52
  1. #1robin yates uk2012-10-03 05:17

    love to see some pics

  2. #2OzDozer2012-10-03 05:53

    Wow, that's definitely an antique, not many of them left in good working order. Michigan and Clark were building good old loaders long before Cat even got any loader models out into the showrooms. They were pretty crude, but very simple, and they kept going. Rear steer is pretty limiting, but that was the foremost design back then. Someone else on here has one as well .....

  3. #3GreenMtnMan2012-10-03 08:30

    I will see what I can do. These are from April 9, 2009, the day I got it. The Waukesha 190 barely ran, and pretty much every thing on it was worn out. It even had the tilted rear wheel issue. At this point I should have had my head examined.

  4. #4GreenMtnMan2012-10-04 13:02

    The loader has a Mack seat in it. I don't know what the original seat would be. That's one of the things on my wish list.

  5. #5OzDozer2012-10-04 20:34

    I don't know what the original seat would have been, either - but it sure wouldn't have been an air-assisted Bostrom! The original would've been a pretty basic seat. If you go looking for an original sales brochure or a parts catalog, it will more than likely give you an idea of design or make of the original seat. Not too people are too concerned about a precisely original seat, and installing a better seat than the original would have always been a common move, even when the loader was a few years old. We're always amused by photos of "antique Cat finds" - and usually, more than half of these finds, have the "high-back bucket seat option".

  6. #6Komatsu 1502012-10-05 09:33

    Here you go. This is from the parts book and it's pretty poor illustration. It appears to be one piece but is actually two separate pieces not connected to each other. The bottom just sits on the frame work above the batteries. The seat back has a metal frame that bolts to the back of the operators compartment. They are just pieces of plywood with foam cushions and a vinyl cover stapled to the plywood. I spent many many hours on there and it was painful. I replaced ours with a seat from An Allis Chalmers HD7.

  7. #7Komatsu 1502012-10-05 09:47

    The link if it works is to a video of ours after being started for the first time in fifteen years in a shed. The video begins one minute after the engine started because I did not expect it to start as easily as it did. No ether, no battery charger, and with a lawn mower battery (well a big lawn mower). I pushed the button, it cranked for less than fifteen seconds and ran. Surprised the heck out of me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k_-fzKkCMs

  8. #8GreenMtnMan2012-10-07 08:15

    Couple more from day of purchase. Pretty well worn out but complete. Brakes work and engine side covers are there. Got the canvas sides for the cab. One of the more expensive repairs was the counterweight which was hanging. More of a cosmetics issue but the machine deserves to look respectable.

  9. #9GreenMtnMan2012-10-07 12:34

    From February of this year the counterweight repair was done. What happened was the two rearmost bolts broke off and were welded onto the outside. It took a 60 ton press and alot of heat to get the front bolts out of the weight. Also the engine and tourque converter are out and the rear axles and planetaries are being rebuilt. Alot of dough for what will be giant wheelbarrow, but I plan on being around for many more moons, and I know all the repairs were done right. The guys at the shop know what they are doing and are better than O.E.

  10. #10GreenMtnMan2012-10-13 18:19

    Waukesha 190 on the test stand. This engine was tired, zero compession in one hole, 6 pounds in another. Completely rebuilt, only things reused are the rods, crank and camshaft. New starter, N.O.S. fuel pump to replace electric one. Carb rebuilt. Lots of bucks, but the motor will run better than new, I know it will always start and run great as long as I am around.

  11. #11OzDozer2012-10-13 22:56

    You're looking good. I would have thought that such a serious investment in new engine components would have at least run to some nice flash VHT paint on the manifolds, and maybe even a chrome tip on the muffler?

  12. #12dirk deman2012-10-30 13:19

    hello, My name is Dirk from Belgium....I am madly in love with the Michigan 75a model....So much,I am trying to make an exact model of the machine. But I miss some exact messurements...And now I was wondering if maybe you can give me the right information as Ur (magnificent) machine has been taken to parts at this moment....(?) Dirk.

  13. #13oldseabee2012-11-01 13:39

    I do have an operators/shop manual for that machine with some tech info. It's a hard copy and my only one, but I can pass on answers to most questions about maint. and specs.

  14. #14GreenMtnMan2012-11-01 18:32

    Dirk - I'll be happy to get you some measurements. The machine is being worked on in another town, and I don't get a chance to there often. Seabee - I appreciate the offer, I have a set of manuals that came with the machine. The thing I'm trying to find out now is what is the code for Michigan yellow paint. I did go visit the machine today and got a couple of pics.

  15. #15dirk deman2012-11-01 19:01

    Many thanks!!!! I am not allowed to put pics on this site,but I can give U a link to u-tube where I put two small video's of the model I made.... I will try to put a picture as well with an ''technical drawing'' of the mesurements I would like to have... Maybe the model is about 95% correct,but I would like confirmation,that's all. The link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntPOb61270 Bthw,Ur michigan is looking GREAT allready!!!! Dirk,Belgium.

  16. #16dirk deman2012-11-01 19:15

    If the link does not work,U can also find the video's under ''dirk deman michigan 75A ''

  17. #17dirk deman2012-11-03 09:08

    I finally figured out how to put an image on this site...At first,not allowed. This is a picture of the model I made so far... Dirk.

  18. #18GreenMtnMan2012-11-12 06:31

    I called Minnpar with the part number for the Clark yellow paint. It is no longer available and they do not have a source. So it looks like my Michigan will be painted Cat yellow.

  19. #19Cat_man3202012-11-12 08:07

    So whats the plan ? to build this to show car status or a work horse. Me and my dad had a 75a for 20 years , . They are a fine old loader for the era . If your going to use it as a work horse and try to make money with it , i would have dumped the engine especial the gas model . Ours was a Wakasha diesel . The loader is simple design , transmission is stout unless you abuse it . Few issues we had were trying to keep brakes on it , hydraulic assist steering is a torment, the stops that keep the rear steering wheels from twisting too much must be in place and adjusted correctly , if not you will break the universal inside the steering ball . We dumped the old engine in ours and put a 471 GM . what satisfaction we had after that and made thousands clearing snow . we had a one way blade made up and it worked great . I still know for a few of them . Best of luck on your build .

  20. #20OldandWorn2012-11-12 09:17

    Most automotive paint stores can scan a part on your machine and come up with a match. Pick a small flat part that has been hidden from the sun for the best match.

  21. #21GreenMtnMan2012-11-12 09:33

    Basically I'm having this done to move & lift stuff at my house and to move snow in the winter. In hind sight I would have bought a machine in better shape but this is how you learn. I will have a machine that will always start and run whenever I want to use it. Plus it will now be maintained, which is something it was lacking in the past. The place working on it likes Cat paint, I really don't care if its original. We figure as long as the engine is out it's a good opportunity to do it.

  22. #22oldseabee2012-11-12 10:19

    Here is a link to a company that can match Clark colors in spray cans. Don't know if they do bulk, but if you get a spray can some body can match it. http://www.industrialtouchup.com/clark_equipment.aspx

  23. #23GreenMtnMan2012-11-14 07:29

    Thank You, I called them and have one can on the way.

  24. #24GreenMtnMan2012-12-05 06:41

    Well we tested the Michigan yellow along with John Deere yellow and Cat yellow. Cat yellow had a mustard tint. Mich and JD were indistinguishable from each other. So JD it is and I can use Mich rattle cans for touch up. I spent about three hours scraping grease/dirt off the machine so they can steam clean it. Then they will paint inside the engine bay and rear of the machine so we can set the engine in.

  25. #25Gooseidi2012-12-12 22:41

    I am glad to see someone else putting love into an old relic. I just acquired an old Trojan and am about to go down a similar road as you are. I am hoping that mine will need a lot less work as I am on a tight budget but we'll see. Good luck.:thumbsup

  26. #26GreenMtnMan2012-12-13 02:15

    Good luck to you, I was able to spend about a hour on mine with a steam cleaner yesterday. One more small step.

  27. #27datsunman2013-01-10 15:39

    Hey, that's a great machine. I just took a quick look at this thread and at first thought I believed you had found the exact machine my neighbor sold at auction this spring. But not likely unless yours had been from minnesota... that's where I live. If I recall correctly,?? my neighbor's michigan had an inline 6 from an oliver tractor model 77 or 88. It ran nice too. Hope it works out well for you.

  28. #28GreenMtnMan2013-02-01 19:08

    More progress. Engine and torque converter back in. I have to get the radiator recored. It's getting a new master cylinder. We painted the inside of the frame. Not sure how much painting will done at this point. I'm already way over budget on this!

  29. #29kerryb2013-02-07 17:59

    I havent seen a loader that old in a long time. I am not sure where you are but in Aus a lot of the parts on Clark machines will fit the Michigan. That is a beutiful restoration but andf good luck.

  30. #30oldseabee2013-02-07 22:44

    Kerryb: Clark Loaders were called Michigan because Clark home office and factory was in Benton Harbor, Michigan. Clark also built logging equipment called Rangers.

  31. #31GreenMtnMan2013-02-10 07:47

    For the first time in a year and a half the machine can move around under its' own power. They had the bucket propped up to walk around the machine when it was inside, it was full of water and ice. The engine runs better than new, torque converter works great, transmission pressure is above specs. I got the radiator recored, (say goodbye to one paycheck). Now they can get the hood back on. Next is getting the gauges to all work, and fix the steering cylinder leak. I can see light at the end of the tunnel!

  32. #32GreenMtnMan2013-03-06 13:06

    Recored radiator in, grille and hood back on. Only big things left are the new master cylinder, and rebuilding of the steering cylinder. Should be back at home by mid April!

  33. #33GreenMtnMan2013-05-08 07:43

    Home again, home again, jiggety jig! Just in time for her new home! :beerchug

  34. #34GreenMtnMan2013-05-26 19:55

    I spent the day cleaning up the old girl. Gave her a good grease job. Had some Ford blue on the shelf, made the hubs look better. I was going to try to find an enclosed cab. I really like the looks of this one, so I will try to make some doors for it myself. Today was so cool here, I feel like I'm getting ready for winter. Summer hasn't even started. Of course, here in Vermont we spend five months getting ready for seven months of winter!

  35. #35MBTRAC2013-05-26 22:12

    Great looking honest loader !! We still run a few old Case warhorses as farm hacks, & used to have an ancient Michigan 35A whci only ever required fuel/oil/grease to rake up mega hours until it terminally expired c.5years ago.

  36. #36NitrousPowrdSS2013-09-02 21:03

    GreenMtnMan, What part of Springfield do you live in? My dad lived there for a long time. Dunno how long you have lived there but he was a DJ at WCFR. His name is Bill Salati. My Grandfather has a construction company over in Ludlow where I am from. George B. Tucker Inc. Thats a good looking Michigan you got there and glad to see it running again.

  37. #37GreenMtnMan2013-09-03 02:58

    I'm not to far from the town garage. They had a late '50s 75A when I was a kid. The town garage was one of my hangouts. I have one of the Oshkosh snow plows the town had. I have heard your Dad on the radio many times.

  38. #38glenlunberg2013-09-03 21:52

    Nice picture of Michigan 75A here. That model is very nice because the specs of it is high quality.

  39. #39GreenMtnMan2013-09-29 17:38

    I was doing some sanding today and found what looks like 'Comare & Sons Stafford Ct.' Anybody ever hear of them?

  40. #40kshansen2013-09-29 18:39

    How about: http://septicpages.com/septic-service/connecticut/stafford/673/a-comarella-sons I that's who owned it good thing you steam cleaned it before you brought it home!

  41. #41GreenMtnMan2013-09-29 20:19

    That's probably them. I went out and looked with a bright light and could just barely make out the A on the end. When I got it I took one of the bucket cylinders off to get it sealed. I had to dig out some bad smelling stuff that was packed in there. I thought it was old hydraulic fluid. Thanks for helping me out.

  42. #42kent_323is2013-10-14 08:27

    Nice looking payloader, I have one very similar to that. How'd you figure out what year it is? On mine the cab doors rotate up and back.

  43. #43GreenMtnMan2013-10-14 13:44

    I was told it was a '59 when I bought it. I'm not sure if that can be confirmed by the serial number. I believe they left the factory 'topless' and you had choices of aftermarket cabs. On mine the sides are open and in the winter there are things like Jeep doors that are held in place by Velcro strips. I'd like to get an enclosed cab for mine.

  44. #44GreenMtnMan2014-01-11 13:46

    Winter Fun. I've able been to use the old girl to stack some snow. I live at the top of a dead end hill. So far she has performed very well.

  45. #45GreenMtnMan2014-08-17 11:31

    I've put this up for sale on the Vermont Craigslist in the heavy equipment section. I will attempt to attach a link to the ad. http://burlington.craigslist.org/hvo/4610713725.html

  46. #46Diggerdozer2015-08-12 23:19

    what does a 75 a weigh?

  47. #47GreenMtnMan2015-08-14 15:41

    According to my service manual 12,500 pounds. I sold the machine last winter.

  48. #48JGibson2015-08-14 22:38

    Why did you sell it?

  49. #49GreenMtnMan2015-08-15 06:23

    I had no use for it!

  50. #50kshansen2015-08-15 10:37

    I could have used that in your neighborhood Monday. I'd have probably dug a hole and tossed my Sportster in and covered it up! Just a few miles north of you in Bradford I holed a piston on the rear cylinder!

  51. #51old-iron-habit2015-08-15 12:07

    I know what you are talking about Ken. I holed a few pistons in my then quite new 1971 sportster. One of the most fun, nicest handling bikes I ever rode, and I rode hard. Good thing the dealers stocked pistons up to 80 thousands over for them in them days. My buddy pulled me with his 750 Honda for 12 miles once with three bungee cords hooked end to end. At times he was 15 ft away and I had one arm up trying to protect my face from the break I expected and at others I was almost running over him. What a yo yo that was. Lucky no one had a camera or I never would have lived it down. I thought adding oil coolers pretty much ended the piston holing issue? Good luck on the repair job. You probably have it down to about 45 minutes if the cylinder is OK.

  52. #52kshansen2015-08-15 13:12

    As this is the second time I have had a failure in Vermont in the last two years, last year it was a broken valve guide on rear cylinder, I'm going to have a local independent shop take it on this time. Have a "spare" Sportster so no rush and sometimes I think getting a second opinion is a good idea. Greenmtnman, sorry for hi-jacking you thread!