Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D7 Model 3T

Rusty_Iron ยท 2012-10-07 15:47

This 3T has been in the family since the early '60's. I am wondering if someone knows how old it really is.

Replies17
  1. #1mitch5042012-10-07 16:06

    It was made in 1949, I love the seat, by the way.

  2. #2d9gdon2012-10-07 19:56

    Ditto on the seat, that's riding in style. They were and still are very good dozers.

  3. #3OzDozer2012-10-07 22:01

    That's the very rare, high-back bucket seat, factory option. It's obvious the "deluxe" version box was ticked on the order, too - it has armrests, as well.

  4. #42stickbill2012-10-07 23:51

    Check out the A/C and the sterio sound coming out of that exhaust pipe was beautiful in those days.

  5. #5d9gdon2012-10-08 08:25

    What kind of track pads are those?

  6. #6OzDozer2012-10-08 08:32

    Don, they look to me like they're those famous, "Miss Universe" type track pads - the ones with the most curves packed into the shortest piece of material. :falldownlaugh

  7. #7grandpa2012-10-08 18:46

    You can hear a 3T working for miles.... there is no other sound that is that sweet,,,, I think maybe Harley Davidson copied it...lol

  8. #8d9gdon2012-10-08 22:15

    OzDozer, I really haven't seen those kind of pads before, but I've only seen snow a couple of times.

  9. #9OzDozer2012-10-08 22:21

    Don, I have no info in any book, brochure, catalog, or Cat microfiche I own, that shows or tells me anything about those weird pads with the curvy grousers. I'm as curious as you. They have to be some kind of aftermarket pad, maybe?

  10. #10ben46a2012-10-09 13:10

    I've seen brochures for aftermarket pads like that, there were also pads with grousers in a full "U" shaped and pads with two short grousers in a 45, supposedley to help with compaction and side slip, seem to me it would be awful hard to turn with the others though.

  11. #11d9gdon2012-10-09 20:43

    It's definitely something new to me. I like it.

  12. #12caterpillarRy2013-04-06 01:47

    I got 2 3t's one is a 49 with no floorboards and the other is like a 53 and has an oil clutch

  13. #13R.D.G0132013-04-06 20:36

    Tidy looking old dozer for its age, would be good to see it going. Brings back memories of when I was starting out operating learning on a HD 14 & a D8 8r with cable blade & logging winch. Cheers RDG013

  14. #14Rusty_Iron2013-04-07 06:33

    This old machine had not been started for several years... about a month ago, poured some fresh gasoline in the pony motor tank and jumper cables to the electric starter motor. Lo and behold, fired off and sang like a song! grandpa By the way, the track pads are aftermarket... I believe Berco is the company that produced them.

  15. #15caterpillarRy2013-04-07 11:51

    Those pads look like they would help when running on icy ground. Much better than stock stuff my grandfather had a cat ten slide down a hill sideways dragged by a trailer loaded with logs because normal pads are like ice skates.

  16. #16Rusty_Iron2013-04-07 18:44

    This machine is in Arizona where ice isn't much of a factor I am pretty sure those pads were purchased because they were cheaper than genuine Caterpillar.

  17. #17caterpillarRy2013-04-07 20:08

    Just makin an observational statement