Cat 977E makes grinding noise I just bought a cat 977E and I'm learning as I go. When I go to engage the clutch lever to move forward or reverse it makes a grinding noise like it's not fully engaged but it does move. Anyone know what is causing that noise and how to fix it??
1959 wow this ones a bit old..my first stop would be to buy a manual set for it if still available,it will be a guiding book for anyone working on it.Try eBay theres a lot of manuals on there.On a second note, have you assured that it is fully in gear? maybe out of adjustment? any number of things could be wrong, but it's also so old that it's simple.Possibly a spring has broken in the clutch and has gotten wound up in the works.Pull the floorboards and access plates and have a look. A big can of wasp killer is a good thing to have with you too
Pull back both steering clutches see if it still makes the noise that will eliminate the final drives. engage clutch with trans in neutral and see if it makes the same noise that would narrow it down to the clutch or input shaft