Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1963 Clark C20

ssgthurley ยท 2014-09-09 11:48

Hello all, I am new and I have tried searching the forums. I didn't find anything that I was looking for. Anyway I have a 1963 Clark C20P-366-550 Forklift with a continental y91 or y112, I am not sure. I am also looking for parts catalogs. I also need to know how I would go about updating the LPG fuel system. Things must have gotten safer since 1963, I have the part numbers, but, I cannot figure out what crosses over. The parts with numbers I have are: Carb - J&S Carb Co Model 600 Vaporizer - SY 11a27 Lockoff - 000233-7121 Regulator - Century 2342 I work in the auto parts industry, so I am used to plugging in a year make and model and being presented with all my options, with cross references if I need them. I just don't understand if I could just buy random parts, toss them together, and it would work? :Banghead That just doesn't seem logical to me. Please help me. Thanks in advance, SSgt Hurley

Replies17
  1. #1BillG2014-09-09 17:08

    It would be simpler and the longevity of the system would be increased by converting it to Impco. You can combine the filter and lockoff valve into one by using a VFF30. The vaporizer and mixer would depend on the engine a Y91 doesn't have a water pump but a Y112 does. What problem are you having, is the pressurized carb bleeding through and flooding the engine.

  2. #2ssgthurley2014-09-10 07:22

    The vaporizer is leaking from the outside seal. It does have a water pump, it is water cooled. If I use the VFF30 what other parts would I use to upgrade the fuel system from the tank to the carb? The vaporizer itself is water cooled also, does this mean I have to buy an Impco that is water cooled? What Impco parts would I use to modernize the system? Thanks in advance again SSgt Hurley

  3. #3BillG2014-09-10 08:34

    An Impco Cobra for the vaporizer / regulator, and it all depends on the manifold for a mixer. You will have to measure c-c on the mixer mounting bolts and the clearance to the engine block. If there is enough clearance for an Impco CA55 this would work best.

  4. #4BillG2014-09-10 08:55

    The Impco vaporizer has both high and low pressure /demand regulator and vaporizer in one unit. The system that you have now has the high pressure and vaporizer in the water outlet/thermostat housing and the low pressure /demand in the mixer body. When you install the Cobra coolant lines, you will need to remove the bypass hose at the thermostat housing and install the coolant lines at these connections.

  5. #5ssgthurley2014-09-10 09:07

    Thank you for the help!!! and im trying not to be a pain here. When you say Vaporizer which is VFF30. The basic setup is Tank to regulator (century 2342), regulator to solenoid (000233-7121), solenoid to vaporizer (SY 11A27 or VFF 30), vaporizer to secondary regulator (J&S Carb Co Model 600), to the carb on the manifold. So in that setup, how do I find part numbers to replace all of this? When you say thermostat, is that under the water jacket on top of the engine? I have the original build sheet now, the engine is a Y112-993. Thank you!!! SSgt Hurley

  6. #6BillG2014-09-10 09:10

    I sent you an email.

  7. #7ssgthurley2014-09-10 09:15

    Yes I just noticed that, I will call you later, any time preferable for you?

  8. #8BillG2014-09-10 09:16

    Probably after 18:00 your time.

  9. #9ssgthurley2014-09-10 09:37

    One more question and I wont bother you again, well until later , how do I cross reference part numbers from my build sheet?

  10. #10BillG2014-09-10 09:42

    It depends on the build sheet, where did you get it, from the dealer or was it with the machine? If the numbers are point type, in other words a couple numbers with decimal point in between or a longer number without decimal point?

  11. #11ssgthurley2014-09-10 09:51

    no decimal point, I got it right from clark when I wanted to know what parts manual I needed. They emailed it to me

  12. #12BillG2014-09-10 10:05

    One thing that you have to remember, this machine is over 50 years old. Unlike the automotive world very few aftermarket companies for forklifts would even recognize most of these old machines. The parts market goes after the higher volume later model machines (<20 years) and a machine as old as yours (and mine to) do not comprise very much of the market. That said, there are quite a few parts still available as they were common for many years but the parts folks do not refer to the original part numbers as they probably have changed many times since it was built. You just have to call a supplier and give them the number and see if they can cross reference it.

  13. #13ssgthurley2014-09-10 10:15

    ok no problem, thank you

  14. #14ssgthurley2014-09-11 07:12

    Sorry I did not have the opportunity to call last night. I will try again tonight after 18:00, Also, what is the difference between the C20P and the C20B other than fuel source? I have an old Army manual with all the Remy part numbers in it, I would like to think nearly all else will be the same. Do you concur? Thanks, SSgt Hurley

  15. #15BillG2014-09-11 08:49

    C20P is a pneumatic machine rather than cushion tire. Fuel type makes no difference in the model of these, later bigger machines with a diesel many times had a "D" in the suffix of the model.

  16. #16ssgthurley2014-09-11 08:54

    So it is literally just the tires making a difference? Or is there a different axle involved also?

  17. #17BillG2014-09-11 08:56

    The outer axle ends, frame, steer axle and maybe others that I can't think of right now.