Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Telehandlers with Buckets

gearhead82 ยท 2014-09-11 17:00

Anyone have any experience using the smaller telehandlers for bucket applications? I know alot of them like the Genies are designed for forks. I will be using forks some but will be using a grapple bucket and a tooth bucket mainly. I will be using it for some feed bins as well as loading high sided trucks (farm). It looks like the Bobcat and the Manitou 625 are a couple of options. I just do not know much about these. Any thoughts?

Replies9
  1. #1caterpillarmech2014-09-11 21:21

    Don't go thinking this machine is a loader. It is a material handler only. I have seen bent booms, and busted chains and cylinders from over exerting them. Think of them like a crane. The are made to carry a steady load to a specific height.

  2. #2Killbox Alpha2014-09-21 19:31

    Most JLG telehandlers have buckets that are approved. https://csapps.jlg.com/OnlineManual...talogs/2014 Telehandler Attachments Guide.pdf

  3. #3JNB2014-09-21 20:47

    Here's a guy that uses a Bobcat V417 for all sorts of tasks. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/toolcat/273429-toolcat-v417.html?highlight=

  4. #4Shimmy12014-09-21 22:58

    Ran a Bobcat (not sure of model) few years back. I was working winters with Transsystems moving sugarbeets. Used the telehandler to pull the mud and beets out from around freezer fans. Worked great. Start with boom way out dragging back; if you needed to move the crab steer worked good just back up a little pull a little more stick in, we're not talking a lot of material but enough that's too much to shovel. Some of building contractors around here use them to put rock in and around basements. Like Catmech said it's not a front-end loader.

  5. #5gearhead822014-09-22 13:49

    Thanks for the feedback. I was nervous about whether it could take a beating in terms of digging. Judging from the pictures, it is like a small wheel loader or skid steer.

  6. #6CM19952014-09-22 14:03

    And the "Bucket is not designed for digging" caveat with every bucket description. Like caterpillarmech said, they are not wheel loaders and not designed to dig. I have a light material bucket for my Gradall 534D6 and it's come in very handy over the years. Used it to place gravel in awkward places and debris clean up. Always have the boom fully retracted when loading a front bucket to keep the stress down on the boom.

  7. #7apetad2017-03-16 11:02

    The Manitou 625 Boom and drive are definitely designed for "Ground Engagement" use . The lift and load is an added bonus. It uses the same loader control functions as backhoe loaders. 3 steering modes, here's their product information: https://www.manitou.com/en/p/UtUwcAEAAH0wtItO

  8. #8JNB2017-03-17 07:48

    Let me guess...You're a manitou dealer? Only a sales guy would bring up a three year old thread to draw attention to his site. Things that slow?

  9. #9apetad2017-03-17 15:43

    My posts all include the link to our website, not hiding a darn thing. Just to satisfy your curiosity, we DID become Manitou Dealers in February this year. Therefore my current interest in the old posts mentioning Manitou, Right? I must say I was pleased with what the forum has to say about Manitou.