I have a1964 case 530 model 31 backhoe and can't find the grease fitting for the clutch throw out bearing. When I engage the clutch I hear a grinding noise for a couple of seconds. The guy I bought it from said it needed grease. Thanks for any help.
Not sure about your machine but I have seen many that had no grease fitting. Had to remove and repack
Thanks Indian don. With no response from others and the inspection that my mechanic has done, I'm sure you are correct. Thank you
If you hear / feel grinding noises from the bearing the lack of grease indicates it is time to replace the bearing.
Thanks tinker. I bought the machine to do some work on a property that I recently purchased. Drainage ditches, dig a couple footers etc. will it do harm if I just run it? The grinding takes place when I engage the clutch but goes away while running. Can I wait until it goes completely before I replace it without doing other harm?
Yes, you can run it that way. Like any bearing running and needing grease it will fail completely eventually. The reason it quits grinding when you release the clutch is because the clutch pedal free play is adjusted correctly. In other words the bearing is completely away from the pressure plate fingers. If the free play isn't adjusted correctly the bearing will remain in contact with pressure plate fingers and spin all the time the engine is running.
Thanks for the good info.