Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1964 Dynahoe 160 / Transmission fliud question?

maine9 ยท 2016-06-23 19:40

I have, what I was told when I bought it, a 1964 Dynahoe 160. It has the GM 3-53 diesel engine. 3 speed transmission. When checking the transmission fluid I found the cap was on the fill tube (in front of the left brake pedal) , but the stick was broke off. I then removed the drain plug from transmission where 3 to 4 gallons of a pinkish milky fluid came out . It looks like water got in there. My question is this. Without a dipstick, I don't know how much fluid to use. I found a Service Requirement Sheet for a 1968 Dynahoe 160 with the 3-53 diesel on this site. It says to use (16) quarts Mobil fluid 424. I also saw where some people were using Traveler Renew Tractor fluid. Does anyone know if this quantity and type of fluid will work in this machine. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks Ken

Replies9
  1. #1Blueboy2016-06-23 21:45

    Hey Ken welcome to the forum Good to see another Dynahoe out there. I have a 1983 1900, the transmission is a Clark 11.2 FHR 18306-3. Three forward, three reverse. The book and the chart on the machine says to use 22 quarts of Dexron ATF. According to the guy at Chevron, he said to use MD-3 You should call Scott at Joseph ind. 1-800-321-9983 He can give you the proper amount and possibly another dipstick. Do you know if the broken part of the dipstick is sitting in the tube?

  2. #2Dynajoke2020-05-04 10:42

    I

  3. #3Dynajoke2020-05-04 10:45

    I have an older dynahoe with the Borg Warner standard 3 speed. I don't know where the transmission filter is for torque converter any help?

  4. #4Tinkerer2020-05-04 22:21

    I don't know if this helps. #125 is the filter on a 190 Dyna-Hoe.

  5. #5Dynajoke2020-06-16 09:08
  6. #6Dynajoke2020-06-16 09:15

    Dynajoke here, I have an older dynahoe. As soon as I start the motor I can put it in gear (BW combo). Xmission slips but will move. After about 10 seconds I lose all xmission. Won't even grind putting the manual xmission in gear. I replaced external filter. Oil to thick something plugged, etc any suggestions out there. No dipst

  7. #7edgephoto2020-06-16 09:58

    Good luck. You may want to flush the system until you get clean fluid out of it. If those frictions are anything like automotive frictions water is the enemy. It makes the friction material fall off the steel. Water dissolves the glue. I hope you get lucky and it will not need a rebuild. I suspect they are the same since it runs Dexron. Keep us posted/

  8. #8Dynajoke2020-06-18 14:41

    Thanks for the info. I just fail to understand why it works for a few seconds then nothing, it acts like its bypassing. Is there a valve that could be allowing it to bypass?Are there two spots to fill with ATF? One by the brake the other through a hole in xmission case? Anything anyone has to say is appreciated.

  9. #9moeduss2021-07-07 09:01

    hello i have just acquired a 1969 dynahoe 160 b and was wondering if any one could tell me where the drain plug is for the forward/reverse part of the transmission isso i can drain it and fill it with fresh clean fluid, also is there filter and its location so i can replace that as well.thanks moe