I have a 1965 Case 450 Dozer that will move a little only when cold. I believe that it is a problem with the torque converter or the charge/transmission pump. Dealer says that the only way to determine what is the problem is to do a flow test on the machine. With travel time and test @$150. per hour, that's at least $500. to test. Anyone have an idea on other ways to determine which is bad? A little more information. I have changed the suction and transmission filters. The TC gauge reads about 55 at medium idle. When shifting between forward and reverse, the needle drops quickly and then returns to previous reading. I seem to be loosing transmission oil and I do not see it dripping under machine. Is it possible to go into the engine through the charge pump, and if that is the case, would that mean that the problem is probably in the charge pump? I am trying to locate a pump, and so far the prices have been $750 to $1,800. so I would not like to just start swapping parts. Anyone have a lead on a part # D35016 charge pump? I have checked most of the online parts places, and I get out of stock, not made anymore or the high prices. Thanks for some ideas!
One thing theses dozers were notorious for were the clamps on the suction lines not being tight especially the one right at the transmission. The hoses tend to go hard and they don't seal well. Now you'd think if the clamp is loose it would leak but it doesn't but it will suck air. Try tightening all your suction hoses. You mentioned you changed the suction filter be sure the o rings/quad rings that seal it are good. Another quick check would be the reliefs at the bottom of the torque converter housing. Careful you don't drop a spring but take them out make sure they are moving freely.
Thanks for the information and pics! Do I have to drain the converter in order to take out the reliefs? I have been using a 30w in the engine. Do you know if there are testing places that could determine if I am getting transmission fluid into the engine oil? Thanks
You wouldn't get transmission fluid in the engine oil. The torque converter may leak but it ends up in the bell housing there may be a plug in the bottom of the bell housing or possibly it is just a hole. If your engine oil seems to be going up it's probably diesel leaking into the engine from the injection pump. I would recommend draining the transmission, take that suction hose right off the bottom of the transmission and clean up the pipe so it seals properly. I've even seen the gasket on the tube into the transmission bad. Take the suction lines off the filter too clean and tighten them back up.
So where the charge pump is connected to engine timing gear to drive the pump, if a seal is bad in the pump, can transmission oil leak into the engine? I am like a gallon low in trans with no visible leaks under the dozer.
If a gallon went missing from the transmission oil via the charge pump, into the engine - the engine sump oil level will be way over full.
With the costs of replacement parts and the time it takes, a $500.00 pump flow test is cheap.......and will accurately point you in the right direction. You should really start there and make dam sure the pump is capable of running the system. Otherwise, changing parts out trying to solve the problem gets expensive real quick and may not even correct the issue.