Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1965 Mack Logging Truck and a 1962 Kenworth with Log Loader

DerelictTexture · 2012-07-27 13:02

A few pics from my home turf. Used to see this stuff in action, way back when. Always wondered if the fully wooded down Mack would get up Davis Bay hill. ( slow and sure, with no missed shifts...it always did ) Also featured, a "Skadill" video of the same site.

Replies8
  1. #1DerelictTexture2012-07-27 13:06

    And the Skadill video.... http://youtu.be/2h96U1lHNk0

  2. #2Jumbo2012-07-27 21:14

    I like the optimism, having the bucket over the exhaust make me think they still want to fire that old Mack up and put it back to work…:thumbsup

  3. #3DerelictTexture2012-07-27 21:17

    Actually the owner was quick to mention how little it would take to put the old girl back to work. He was quite proud of that. It wasn't retired...just resting a spell.

  4. #4Vigilant2012-07-27 23:52

    Haven't we seen that B Model on here before in some earlier photos where the paint had more life in it? If this is the truck I'm thinking of, I believe someone said it had been repowered at some point with a 335 Cummins, and still had the Quadruplex.

  5. #5DerelictTexture2012-07-28 01:41

    As far as I know, there has only been me, Skadill and maybe one other guy in that yard with a camera. I don't remember hearing about an engine change. I'll ask the other guys if they heard about that. Re. the paint....it's been sitting there for more than a decade or so...maybe two.

  6. #6Vigilant2012-07-28 14:38

    ^^^ That would make sense. Our friend Skadill posted some more pics of those trucks here, on Page 221: I believe he was also the one who posted the earlier shots of the B Model, when the paint looked better. The KW was not in the earlier photos, from what I could see. I would LOVE to see that B Model restored. It's one magnificent truck, and it's a shame to see it slowly wasting away.

  7. #7Vigilant2012-08-09 14:49

    Here are the older pics of that B model, in Post #47:

  8. #8DerelictTexture2012-08-09 15:58

    Actually Skadill and I met this year, after I commented on his photos of the old Mack and KW sitting beside it. We have since gone on a couple of iron seeking road-trips together. This old gear sits on a back road/short cut to the ferry, in a place that I used to call home. To be accurate, the only reason that the paint looks different is because it was raining, or had been raining when Skadill took his photos and video....it was wet. I took my photos in the spring of 2007. I'll go back one day soon and pull the hood up and take pics. Hopefully Skadill will be with me for that. But seeing that he is the "senior" gatekeeper of images...and vastly more knowledgeable about the machinery...he gets 1st dibs on the powerplant announcement.