Saw this machine last week and as I have a soft spot for 977's I sought out the owner today and found him. It is a runner but has been sitting quite awhile and the steering is getting sticky... I can no more afford a 977 than I can take a hot lap around the moon and he about broke my heart when he offered to sell it to me.
The buying part is not to hard BUT the money it takes to get it like new and where does one store it. There used to be lots around BC some with log grapple , but have not seen one for years.
md is that one new enough to have pedal steer? I can see the power shifter
It is pedal steer and power shift and it is one of 3 he bought in 66. I haven’t seen it yet but it’s twin is at his house.
If selling would be worth at least collecting May start a new trend
I know... I have room for it. Maybe next weekend I will meet him and put some heat in it and see just how bad the steering is. It would be kind of sad to see it lost to a torch.
My Dad had a 1968 977H that was the first track loader i ran. I was 15 years old we used it on the farm to clear brush and dig /clean out ponds. Funny i was more interested in chasing girls then than operating equiptment.
I ran an old #7 traxcavator for about a month back in the late 60s. don`t know what year it was, nothing auto. if you were getting anything done with it you were well aware of it after 10-12 hrs
I ran one of the manual clutch machines with clutch and brake steering loading a couple trucks... I was probably 20 or 21. The lasting memory of that machine was that to be efficient with it, you literally “ busier than” (insert your favorite “ busier then a” comparison here!)
Have to laugh at that comment, renter on our place has a 955K, nice older machine very clean, well was feeding here and got stuck as frost cooked out. Called and asked if my Allis(parked under barn eave) was running, told him would bring the batteries and help out. Had them out in short order as the old AC busted right off with fresh batteries. He asked how hard to operate, had him take a seat and explained controls. He was a little mystified as to how with only two hands could run hand clutches, power shift and bucket while the three pedals as his third is a common brake not a decelerator, not heard of that either. Said if needed a drag would call me, would rather not try such a "Complicated" machine!! He is under 40, and Not EVER seen a stick shift tracked machine, be fun to watch him on an old 977H.
The logging outfit i worked for in my younger years had a couple of 977 s . They were used heavily ,lots of walking to tow machines up steep hills and loading out of quarries into some old Euclids we had. They were the go to machine until we discovered wheel loaders and excavators which spelled the end for the 77 s .
That's a Poor Ole Girl. Maybe someone can save it. I always had a thing for those as well but never had that sorta "cash" nor Land to own one being an Orchard farmer not much use!
If you have some use for it and it will still do what its supposed to thats a lot of machine. If the steering clutches will not release stay away. Check the transmission filters. Dont want to buy a cross shaft project. The IH is a disaster to operate. Open differential, 0 visibility, steering wheel steering. It is a prototype afterall.
He has already told me that their are sticking. Ran and steered well when parked 10 years later not so much. I would love to find a runner for HCEA events as I really enjoy them. The IH may not be a lot grins to run but it is looking fine!