Hello everybody, I just became a member of this website because I find it very interesting and educational, especially since I recently purchased a D8H with only basic knowledge of crawler tractors. I really wanted an old D9 but couldn't find one that was operational and in my budget of $10,000. My D8H came from a private seller in Holland, N.Y. and met the criteria I was looking for. It had to be operational, look decent and not too beat up and be in my budget of $10,000. I am not an excavation contractor nor am I someone looking to make a quick buck flipping machinery. I bought this old dozer simply because I have always wanted one, yes it's a hobby. After I change all the fluids and filters I plan on painting it. I have lots of questions for you guys that really know these old school machines so please be patient with me while I'm learning. Thanks, Hans.
Welcome to the forum 408interceptor, If appearances are anything to go by, that tractor could go straight to work. You don't see too many 50yo machines in that sort of condition. Great buy.
Agree with Queenslander, has not seen much hard use. Welcome and enjoy your new ride
Nice looking D8H there 408interceptor..........small world, as I am from Ont & purchased a machine from a private seller in Holland NY a few years ago too. Mine was a parts machine, a D4D with a winch on it. That old D8 looks like a real gem indeed!
Appears in very very good condition. I see little to complain of or note, cutting edges are worn but not too bad, mold board has seen better days but a hobby machine is what it is. Salt rails a plus, if they squeak they have probably leaked the lube off a few. Sprockets what I can see look good but bottom rollers may need a trim on the side flanges. Get a shop manual, measure the specs, don't want the flanges getting into rail pin bosses. Grousers are well worn but still there, could always add weld on stock if need better push power. I think you lucked into a very good deal there.
Put her to work alright , bloody beauty