I found this site looking for info on a P&H truck crane that I bought. It's a 1966 in decent mechanical and cosmetic shape and everything works on it. Why did I buy it you ask, just because it's neat old crane and I always wanted a piece of old equipment. (Maybe this thread belongs in in the old iron section . This was the type of crane used to build the bridges on the freeways here in town when I was growing up. One of the contractors still has his crawlers from back then. My machine is on a FWD carrier. Does anyone know if the FWD records are still in existance? My internet search on the company doesn't produce much info other than it was absorbed into Seagraves and taken private. I've got P&H operating and parts manuals for the crane and the Chrysler flat head in the crane. I'd like to find something on the carrier and the engine (6 cylinder gas).
Try asking for the manuals on one of the old iron sites. Someone may have a set laying around. You can check on Ebay too. You might consider looking for dealers that once handled the brand that may possibly still be in business. They again, might have something. Just a start. Good Luck!
any pics??
Update I was able to get a complete "builders file" from Seagrave. It took a while but lots of "diggin" uncovered the carrier engine to be a IHC BD308. New spark plugs, new fuel pump and a new battery and it runs like a champ. The Chrysler always has fired right up and sounds sweet (no muffler ) And, I finally figured out how to post photos.
I've spent some time in the seat of one of those P&H's, been years ago. The one's I operated had Detroit engine in them. Looks like the machine is in really good shape, not a lot of rust. Nice rig.
My hat is off to anyone who saves old machines from the scrapyard! :drinkup
P&h 325 tc Here's one that was in the junk yard , gone now ??? A P&H 325 TC . Dunno what happened to it. :beatsme
I remember them Man,..... I have set a gazillion roof trusses with these machines. We always called them mighty mites, the ones I ran were 22 ton machines. 90' main & a 40' jib. Little power houses. Direct drive,... put it in third gear and you better be ready to go. You could put the boom flat out over the side with no outriggers, knock the jib off, roll it under the boom, hook it to cables on the boom, boom up enough to get the jibs wheels off the ground and take off down the road to the next job. I'd love to have one now, (all reconditioned of course). There cheap to operate and maintain.
Yep, the 215TC is a Mighty Mite . I believe it is the smallest TC that P&H built but I'm not sure. Mine's got a 50 foot boom and the jib was next to the barn where I bought it. The owner wanted to keep the jib because he still operates 3 - 315 TC's with jibs in Novi MI. He uses them to set wall forms. He says they're quicker than a RT hydraulic, just drive down the wall, no messing with outriggers. He only sold it to me because my plans are to restore it cosmetically (It's pretty good mechanically). He bought this one to dig a pond. I had to give him right of first refusal if I sell it . My trucker canceled on me twice to pick it up and he was 3 hours late when he did show up. The owner said, if you had canceled this time I was going to tell you it wasn't for sale anymore. I'm really looking forward to playing with it. Last summer was a bust - too much day time job and a hassle getting new rims for the front - the old girl still has split rims .
This is not the smallest one, they made an 18 ton as well. It was a little man too.
We had one of those in the pile driving co I worked for. I believe it was a 1966 as well. The carrier would only get up to 45 mph down a hill if I remember, and bounce like a ball on the potholes till your stomache could hardly take any more. The crane was quite smooth on the drums. The swinger was electric, which could lead to anxious moments if you were not completely on top of your game!!!It had power down which was unique to that era. Also Ours had dogs on each brake drum whick let the operator go worry free away from the rig as the dogs were manually placed and impossible to free fall.
I think it was called power assist load lowering, if you didn't have it pumped up good the load would come to the ground, as in right now. Those dogs on the boom were nice you could hear them clicking as the drum turned. I saw a guy swing one of the 22 ton rigs so fast that it started bucking on the outriggers!!! I also saw his face when it started doing it and you could surely tell it wasn't a planed gig. I've never seen a crane before or since do that. The Gforce almost turned his but over. He had it in 3rd gear and them badboys will fly in 3rd.
Hi I have a325 TC .Its 1966 on an FWD carrier.I bought it about 12 yrs ago off a crane co. that had bought it new in 66.You guys are right they are mighty mites.Ive driven piles ,churn drilled and clammed with mine.Just have to keep up on the hydraulic systems,good thing they have those dogs.My two bits worth. Regards Dave
Yeah LongBoom, I forgot about those 3 gears. Tons of torque in low gear. Mid range was my fav operating gear. 3rd was awfull fast. Had a wooden handle on the swinger, the rest were all steel!
I remembered dad had P&H 105 (or 115) back then and it's a TC too. Thought that would be the smallest TC.
Waht company was that crane at ?
I think you meant the manufacturer, it's P&H. I believed it's a Japanese company. I might be wrong.
P&H 155 and P&H 55 are both 3 axle truck cranes from mid 50's of similar size as the 215.
Where did you get your operating and parts manual? I have the smaller version of your crane. I am trying to restore it but I'm having trouble finding info on it. thanks Scott
The 18 ton model no. Does anyone know the model number of the 18 ton version. I was told that mine was 18 ton but I can not find a model no. anywhere. I looked up a 155tc but I saw that it was a 15 ton.
I don't know if I should praise this or slam it to the ground. Had enjoyable experiences and had quite a few NIGHTMARES(edit) I Hate these machines
You are right about the 105. My dragline is a 105b. It is a 12.5 ton. I have looked everywhere for a operators manual.
Do you still have this crane? We have one and are looking into getting another one but can't seem to find many left around. Just curious.
I saw one last week at Ritchie Bros. I got all excited, it would have looked so cute next to its big brother, my P&H 440TC. But when I saw it up close it was junk. Really sad to see how abused and neglected it had been.
Sorry for necroposting here. Your post is kinda unclear, P&H isn't a Japanese company. https://www.youtube.com/********=Pb3mUTRE59A Here's a video about their history, more about the mining side than the cranes though.
Yes I do. And it does need work. The last time I checked both engines ran. But this is an old piece of equipment. The only reason I got it was to install a gate post and dig out my pond. After that my wife says I need to get rid of it. By the way this is a drag line.
I didn't realize you were in Garland, not to jump in on Garrin, but I'd also possibly be intersted in it. I'd be a nice little match to the 40 ton P&H I've got, and I'd LOVE having a dragline. Let me know if Garrin passes on it.
alskdjfhg its all yours, i think we would need something more like a 218TC if Raildudes dad is interested in selling.
Ahh ok, I'd like the 218 too, but smanning's being in Texas (don't see too many of them in the first place), and being a dragline got me interested.
Like I said I bought it to dig out a pond and raise a gate post. The last 10 months I have been busy having a house built so I haven't had very much time. I might be willing to part with it for the right price.
PM sent
Garrin18: After 2 back surgeries it's time for me to sell the 215tc. The old girl is still intact and I've has some fun with it but at my age and with my back, it tough to get on and off. I think you need to make one more post and then you can PM me thru this site if your interested. The machine is located just outside Grand rapids MI. Not too far since I see your located in MI. I bought it to save it from the scrap yard, I'd love to see it go to someone who wants to keep it running
Thank you for responding hopefully after this message I can pm you.
I hooked up with Garrin18 and his company bought my crane. It took most of the fall to get the crane and carrier running, not because there was much wrong (batteries and points), but it was a really wet rainy fall. Plus, after the 2 surgeries, I was dependent on others helping. (I had a 3rd surgery on my spine Dec 1st.) Got a lot of titanium screws, pins and plates in me . No injuries, just the old spine had bone spurs and some deteriorated disks. I was not able to bleed the hydraulic clutch so John (Deere) had to help it on the trailer. Never had trouble with the clutch bleeding off before but it is 50 years old . Here are some photos of the loading and then leaving the Marsman Construction Co yard in GR for Poured Brick Walls in Brighton. They run a fleet of the small truck cranes to set wall forms. Interestingly, there's another company in Novi that does the same work with a fleet of these small cranes.
Good to see these older machines still in use where you are.They are a hard sell out here in BC.Watch the carrier axles when your loading, after breaking and welding them a couple of times that was the demise of my 325 TC.I still have a jib ,two full booms,hydraulic outriggers,and a few things like new boom lugs in my yard.