Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Recent Crane job!

Lashlander ยท 2008-01-26 23:11

On Christmas day we had wind gusts that hit 97 MPH. It blew over several stacks of containers in a local shipping companies yard. Six of them went in the water and beat around under the dock until the broke up and sunk. We had to get divers and pull them out. It wrecked 30 containers in all. If your in the market for a container you could probably pick one up pretty cheap!

Replies10
  1. #1Lashlander2008-01-26 23:13

    Few More.

  2. #2surfer-joe2008-01-26 23:26

    What was in the containers? Any good tennis shoes?

  3. #3Lashlander2008-01-26 23:38

    Ha Ha! They were empty! I think thats one of the reasons they blew in the drink.

  4. #4Dozerboy2008-01-27 12:23

    That's some wind

  5. #5tonka2008-01-27 12:52

    Cheap, hell they would have to pay me to take one of those!

  6. #6digger242j2008-01-27 13:33

    A question... So many of the crane flip-overs you see on youtube videos and such involve picks of water filled items; busses, cars, etc. Obviously some of those containers aren't going to hold any water, but for ones that may be relatively intact, do you allow for the full weight of all the water the box will hold, or do you just pick them up real slow?

  7. #7Lashlander2008-01-27 14:57

    Everything increases in weight when it leaves the water because of the weight of the water trying to push it out. Even concrete blocks. In that scenario you have to account for the total weight of the load. I have however pulled things off bottom that I knew I could not pic from the water because of capacity of the crane. Things like sunken boats or containers full of water. In that case you have to empty them as you leave the water. When pulling boats you just break the water and start pumping them out. I've held onto boats for up to 20 hours until they have them dewatered and watertight enough to turn them loose.

  8. #8JDOFMEMI2008-01-27 23:55

    Great pics Lash I gotta know, did you check out the condition of the dock concrete thoroughly before setting up on the edge like that?

  9. #9Lashlander2008-01-28 00:30

    Hey Jerry, Yes we had the divers look over the underside of the Pier and inspect the Piling before we put the crane on it.

  10. #10thejdman042008-02-02 19:50

    great pics