Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1967 Case 580CK. Will not go into forward reliably. Grinding!

HIGHER-GROUND ยท 2013-06-16 10:06

Makes an awful grinding sound when I let the clutch out. It takes about 20 tries before it goes into gear, but tends to pop out of gear. Reverse works great. This is very frustrating, and would like to know how to troubleshoot this, and figure out what to do next. It sounds like you folks are very knowledgeable, and would know off the top of your head what this is. The rest of the tractor works great, other than hydraulic leaks. This is just an area that I have no experience with.

Replies4
  1. #1melben2013-06-16 16:34

    I am guessing that you have a dry clutch mechanical shuttle and what you are describing seems to indicate a worn synchronizer in the F/R box. That is not uncommon with higher hour mackines. If I am correct in it being a mech shuttle, you can gemove the shifter cover and inspect the gears , just shift the shifter into reverse position so the fork will clear the front of the casting. I have never heard that symptom with a power shuttle so am advising you with previouse experiences as my guide. Mel

  2. #2PAwrestling#12013-06-16 17:00

    Also take the top cover on the front of of shuttle off and if standing on left side of machine at front left corner of the box check the set screw is in place and tight on fork. I've had this problem alot and once the set screw was out and laying on the bottom and once it was just loose. I would bet this is your problem. It's a pointed screw that goes into a coned shaped indent in the shaft inside your shuttle.

  3. #3HIGHER-GROUND2013-06-16 19:54

    Thanks guys,i will report my findings.

  4. #4HIGHER-GROUND2013-07-01 10:40

    I think there are a couple of gears that are worn, I have opened her up and am posting a couple of pictures to show what I see. You will note the reverse gears look perfect, the front gears look quite worn. Does anyone know what is involved in changing them out? The first picture is Reverse and the second is Forward.