Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1967 John Deere 5020 Tractor Sells For Record Price

cortlandj86 · 2011-03-07 10:49

1967 JD 5020 tractor with 5,282 hours sold for a new record high auction sale price of $20,100 on a farm auction in Paris, IL on February 25, 2011 I thought $17,000 was high. That was the sale price paid for the 1971 JD 5020 tractor sold on a farm auction billed as the “auction of the decade” in east-central South Dakota back on December 1, 2009. With my 21+ years covering machinery auctions, I’d say the “auction of the decade” billing was accurate. What a day. What a crowd. What a sale. To read more and see pictures and video of the sale follow the link http://blog.machinefinder.com/3625/1967-john-deere-5020-tractor

Replies4
  1. #1El Hombre2011-03-07 12:28

    I've never owned anything JD, what is it with JD? They seem to break down/wear out like the rest of the machinery. They DO have dealers with parts and service departments, wouldn't have that if they never broke. Is it they take twice as long to wear out? Watching RFD TV, everybody seems to get really excited about anything green....When I was looking to buy a hoe, I checked what the pivot pin for the boom cost at various dealers. Ford was the cheapest, JD was about twice for the same size pin....

  2. #2Axle2011-03-07 14:34

    Nostalgia factor no doubt. My uncle has a 3020D (1966 or 1967) that was on the family farm since new. It was my favorite tractor to hop onto. Why? Who knows. The 4040 had a cab and a/c, but the the 3020 has always been my favorite of the bunch. Maybe it was the open feel, maybe the diesel smoke blowing into your face... =-) But when I'm out driving around and I catch the shape of that series out of the corner of my eye, I always gotta look in its direction. Alex.

  3. #3shopteacher 12011-03-07 15:29

    I know in my area, there are no deals on green equipment. At every auction that I have attended that has John Deere equipment, there is always someone from the local dealership there to bid. They either buy it if it is a deal, or run it up to market value. It keeps the resale value on their equipment high. A farmer I know went to trade in a JD on a new JD. The dealer would not give him what he wanted on trade so bought the new tractor outright and sold the old one in at a local equipment auction. The dealer ended up buying it at auction, giving around $500 more for it than what he wanted on trade. John

  4. #4Tinkerer2011-03-07 17:25

    This thread really belongs in the agricultural section. The 5020 is an ag tractor. I grew up on a farm in Illinois. 5020s were not very popular in our area . I am guessing the 4020s outsold them 20 to1. Here is a link to The Tractor House. As you can see prices are anywhere from ridicules to reasonable. http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?manu=JOHN+DEERE&mdltxt=5020