Hi guys - I have been working on my 580B CK for some time and am still having pressure problems in the shuttle. It has a shuttle shift and 4 speed transmission. History: The tractor takes 15 - 30 minutes to warm up so that it will drive. I use Case Hy-Tran fluid in the shuttle and converter. The tractor is slow to move under load. Work completed: I have recently changed all the fluids and filters. and I installed pressure ports on the converter oil filter out line and the shuttle control valve and cleaned and re-sealed the shuttle control valve. Results: the pressure at the converter filter and shuttle control valve is the same at all operating conditions. In neutral, the pressure will rise to 150 psi with the clutch engaged. When the shuttle is shifted into gear (forward or reverse) the pressure will drop to zero and then slowly build to about 30 psi. The tractor will eventually move at these pressures but it takes a while for it to get moving (As described above) I am at a loss of what to do next. The manual says that the converter oil filter pressure should be between 275 and 325 psi and the control valve pressure should be between 170 and 190 psi. There are no shims installed in the control valve relief valve. Questions: 1) What should I check next? 2) Has anyone had a similar problem and if so, how did you fix it? Any help is appreciated! Thanks, Chip
Chip, my similar hoe was doing the same thing. I've not yet installed the pressure guage. It seems that the more I use it the faster it goes in gear. Now, most of athe time, it's ready to go as soon as the motor has cleared up and running normally. This is like 30 to 45 seconds. However, I'm not so sure that I don't have some refuse in the system that at times clogs the pipe filter at the bottom of the sump. Of course that problem has been discussed at length on this forum. By the way, I'm still running the cheap TSC fluid but will go for another filter change and go to the high-dollar Case fluid. Don't mean to jump your thread but now I'm experiencing a great grinding of the gears when getting the transmission into any gear. Feels like a standard clutch that is not disengaging. Any knowlwdge on this to share would be greatly appreciated. Packratc
What kind of shuttle trans is in this machine?
Similar problem here. I just let it warm up. Mine does not owe me anything.
Hey Jenni from Iceland! You asked what kind of shuttle we were discussing. As I had jumped in on someone else's thread I wasn't sure who you were asking. I'm not really qualified to answer your question but only to say that I think mine is the standard power shuttle which I have concluded from this thread that it is perhaps the most common. I don't think it is what they call hydrostatic. It is not the mechanical shuttle as it does not have a standard clutch disc and I do not think it is the Rockford. But, I've not had mine apart so can't tell you other than that. Hopefully someone else could answer that has more knowledge. Sorry I can't be of more help. Look out for those volcanoes! Packratc
Hey packrats, I am new on this backhoe machines, i got recently a 1986 Case 580G Extendahoe and she have að broken flexplate, and on my Case is the shuttle trans not part of the gearbox, the shuttle trans is bolted on the engine and from trans to gearbox is driveshaft. My uncle was expert in this type of trans like i have, and after i got my 580G í call him and ask him about weak links in the shuttle, and my uncle told me the weak links is disks for forward gear, and the pump wear early, then he told me something interesting and i think maybe thats your problem, On this link is diagram of trans like mine, The trans name is Borg Warner T72 (i read that name somewhere) http://www.equipmentpartssource.com/onlinestore/store_shuttle1a.php peace number 31 is what control the shifter and is connected to the forward/neutral/rewerse lever in the dash, my cousin told me this pease did sometimes wear and then trans oil starts leak around this pease and then the pressure drops when you put in gear. I hope you understand something i was trying to say, i am not good in write english, but im learning bit by bit. And i dont know if your mashine have this type of trans, but if she has this then you can check this out
Jenni - I have a standard shuttle in my tractor. And like you said, I am starting to think that I have a pump wear problem. The tractor is over forty years old...and I am afraid that if I replace the pump, I will then be needing to replace the clutch packs as well, due to the increased pressure. I am working on finding a pump for less than $650USD before I decide to make the swap.
Jenni, Thanks for the reply. Chiptooney and I have 580Ck machines. They are earlier than your 1986 480G. I don't think we're talking about the same transmission. You're doing good with writing the English. Thanks, Packratc