Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1968 Case 580 CK barely moves. Seeking shuttle filter and drain bolt locations

Mike Ellis ยท 2020-07-18 22:36

I've read through many threads that relate to my problem. It scares me to think the issue could be clutch related... $$$, but I've tried the suggested remedies with some success and would like to cancel the clutch out by attending to the fluids first... I'm now stuck, so I'm doing a new post. I bought my 1968 580 CK 3 months ago, have operated it for about 8-10 hrs, found myself having to rock it back and forth on the slightest of inclines, and pulling myself onto level ground with the hoe. I changed most of the fluids and filters: hydraulic, both fuel filters, engine oil filter, but still cannot find the paper shuttle filter that some say is in front of the radiator (I see hoses, and what appears to be a pump but nowhere to change a filter (1st picture below). So question 1 would be - Where would I find the paper shuttle filter? Dipsticks and Drain Bolts... Ok, the Hex shaped nut/dipstick approx 6 inches long was easy to find inside the Cab near the gearshift, above what I think is the differential. Topped it up with appropriate Gear Lube (80W I think). Shuttle Dipstick was another matter... it took many searches to finally find the hex nut dipstick (approx 10-12 inches long) located approx 2' directly forward of Cab Hex dipstick... accessed from right side of tractor above what I believe is the torque tube? (picture 2 below). Fluids were already topped up but no idea of their effectiveness so I'd like to drain and refill, but cannot find the drain bolt. Picture 3 below is what I see under the tractor, so question 2 would be... please tell me where the drain bolt is? Could sure use some help or advice, thank you.

Replies24
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2020-07-19 19:29

    As stated in other post you have a mechanical shuttle with a dry clutch

  2. #2Tinkerer2020-07-20 08:33

    Mike; If you don't have all the manuals go here and download them. http://www.minnpar.com/manuals5.asp...) 580 SERIES PARTS MANUALS&SSSFName=CASE 580C

  3. #3Mike Ellis2020-07-20 10:04

    WOW! Just Wow, that is absolutely the most detailed manual... the previous owner provided a manual in 3 binders with only a tiny fraction of the detail. Thank you so much. I'm having my coffee, scrolling through it page by page and have printed about 30 individual pages that will be very helpful to me. No rush at all, but would you mind taking a minute to check out page 284 & 286 in the first link (580C Loader, backhoe.pdf). On the page titled PTO Hydraulic Cooling System BEFORE Tractor 8961374 (mine is 8657611), there appears to be a cannister filter center left edge of page next to fitting #22. It looks like a filter to me, do you know what that is called? I scanned a picture of it below. Thank you

  4. #4Tinkerer2020-07-20 10:40

    It is the hydraulic filter, Mike. Is yours (#43) mounted on the loader frame ?

  5. #5Mike Ellis2020-07-20 11:35

    Ok, thank you, I have changed that one

  6. #6Mike Ellis2020-07-21 15:13

    Hello helpful people... Coy and Tinkerer, thanks so much for your help. I just returned from our build site property. I removed the Seat, and metal floorboard, and there it was... above the rear axle area... another Hex shaped dipstick, maybe 10-12" long. Whatever fluid goes in here, its Flooded... filled to the hex nut when it should be about 8" lower, and the consistency is more watery than anything else (as per picture 2). What fluid goes in here? Hi Trans/TDH or Gear Lube 85W140? It can be seen in picture 1, the screw driver is pointing to it. Also in picture one, up near the Hi/Low shifter, another Hex dipstick which is short approx 6" long, which I've recently drained and refilled with Tutella 85W140 Gear Lube. Did I get this all backwards? Did I put Gear Lube in where Hi Trans should go? Would sure appreciate some guidance, thank you. 1968 Case 580 CK serial 8657611. In picture 3 I think this is the drainplug to drain the flooded oil/lube/water mess. Sorry for the mess, I have no water on site to use my pressure washer so I've been scrubbing away and cleaning by hand. Drainplug I'm talking about is slightly to the right of dead center of the picture.

  7. #7Mike Ellis2020-07-22 19:35

    Case dealership counterman told me that Gear Lube 85W140 ($176 a bucket) needed to go in the aft hex fill hole under the seat, as well as the forward hex fill hole next to the Hi/Low shifter. He also said, and I found this puzzling, that its the same chamber... but that doesn't make sense... one has a 6" dipstick and the fluid level is where it should be, the other has a 10-12" dipstick but the fluid level is waaaaay to high, probably 8" higher than it should be... plus, it doesn't make sense to have 2 fill spots for one chamber.... this is confusing.

  8. #8TSemenuk2020-07-24 06:50

    Looks like your rear axle gear oil is mixed with water....a lot of water. You should drain that. You can take the top cover off (seat post mount) and inspect the condition of the gears. Was the same colour oil in the case forward of the gear shifter? Mine has a power shuttle in that case that requires different fluid. I don't know what oil your tractor requires in that forward case.

  9. #9Tinkerer2020-07-24 08:51

    $176.00 for a bucket of gear oil is insane ! Like $100.00 too much. Did you drive to the dealership in a Ferrari and he saw it ?

  10. #10Mike Ellis2020-07-24 09:10

    Canadian money.... so if I converted it, it would be $131 US Dollars... have to pay for our Liberal welfare state somehow....

  11. #11Mike Ellis2020-07-24 09:22

    I will take the top cover off and inspect the gears, thank you. As for the spot forward of the gear shifter, mine has a Mechanical Shuttle, I was advised by a counter guy at Case to put Lube Oil in there as well, which I think is wrong. Got a second opinion from a different Case dealership, the mechanic called me back - telling me Lube Oil for differential (rear axle seat area where its overfilled), and TDH (or HiTrans) next to the shifter. Several others on this forum seem to agree. Trouble is, I already followed the first guy's advice and put Lube Oil 85/140W in the fill spot next to the shifter (have only driven the tractor 100 yds since then, crawling really). I'm heading out to the property in about an hour to try to sort this out today (drain forward spot in front of gear shifter of the Lube Oil, maybe even use that gear oil for the differential, since I have a feeling one flush won't do with all that water in there). As for the color in that gear shift location, I think it was clear, maybe tan, can't remember exactly. Thanks again, very much appreciated.

  12. #12Mike Ellis2020-07-30 20:58

    So, the Saga continues... With your help, we've found and identified 2 of 3 Hex Nut dipsticks. First, the Differential Hex Nut 12" dipstick(rear of cab under seat slightly left of center), a 2nd Hex 6" dipstick inches away from the Hi/Low Shifter in the front of the cab... and this 3rd 6" Hex Nut dipstick approx 14" forward the cab on the right side. I could sure use help identifying this 3rd hex nut, what fluid goes in, and what part does it lubricate. Whatever the part is (Shuttle?) it sits atop a large unit that is next in line behind the the diesel motor. Picture 1 is my 1970 CK580. Dead center of the picture, to the right of the Loader Hydraulic Piston and deeper in, is a part I'm trying to identify. Picture 2 is a blowup of that section of the tractor. Could someone tell me what the part is in picture 2? Is this the Shuttle? There is Hex Nut with 6" dipstick, and I'd like to change out that fluid as well. I cannot find the drain bolt underneath it. If you look at picture 3 and see it, please let me know. I'm wondering if its behind the 3" round disc that reminds me of a frost plug, should I pop that off and look? Thank you all very much.

  13. #13Mike Ellis2020-07-31 21:49

    Ok, think I have enough info to go forward, so I'm sharing it. This link given to me earlier from Tinkerer (thank you) Anyone having a machine that won't tackle any inclines whatsoever, check out Section 6202 Power Shuttle and Torque Converter Maintenance Operation & Troubleshooting, and in particular 6202-3 . http://www.minnpar.com/partbooks/CA...80C/CASE 580C SERVICE MANUAL (COMPRESSED).pdf Great resource with lots of good stuff for sluggish machines... Section 6202, 6210 Power Shuttle, Section 6211 Shuttle Controls Power and Mechanical, Section 6406 Clutch and Pressure Plate, and for those who don't know the service history of their machine, like me, Section 1050 Maintenance and Lubrication.... cheers.

  14. #14Ar1519662023-09-09 19:48

    hi Coy I just purchased a 1970 580CK it is a mechanical shuttle type. Guy told me it would not move forward or reverse. I did get the tractor engine running and did change out the oil where the dipstick is right by the shifter ? I used the case equivalent fluid. I put the tractor in gear and she wanted to move. I started shifting from neutral to forward causing a rocking type motion and away she went but if I stop I have to repeat the rocking to move. I did not check the dipstick under the fuel tank on what looks to be a valve body. Any insight would be much appreciated. I did by a manual on line but it focuses more on the power shuttle.

  15. #15Coy Lancaster2023-09-09 20:14

    There is another dipstick close to the hi-lo shifter you should have hyd. oil there. You may have a clutch issue also.

  16. #16Ar1519662023-09-09 21:05

    i had replaced the fluid there. do you know what the 1 in plug on the valve body under the gas tank is for. and thanks

  17. #17Coy Lancaster2023-09-10 18:10

    I'm not sure what that plug is, have you pulled it out?

  18. #18Ar1519662023-09-10 19:47

    not yet. i was not sure if i should remove it before i know what it is. do you know if there is any type trans sump that might be blocked

  19. #19Coy Lancaster2023-09-11 21:27

    There is a sump screen in the torque tube under the valve body.

  20. #20klobel2025-07-14 16:13

    The links above for the more detailed manuals don't seem to work anymore. Can anybody help me with getting them? I'm having same issue as OP. Although in my case I have the shuttle clutch.

  21. #21Tinkerer2025-07-14 22:51

    Welcome to HEF, Klobel!, We need to know what your TLB is. The tractor serial number would help too.

  22. #22klobel2025-07-18 10:08

    The tractor is a 68 580ck i believe. Serial is 8320881

  23. #23Tinkerer2025-07-18 11:50

    MinnParr quit hosting manuals some time ago. Your 580 is a 1968 if it has that serial #. Send me your email address in a private message if you want the service manual.

  24. #24Mike580bck2025-10-16 14:54

    Hi Tinkerer,I too am seeking some eyes on info for changing/ checking fluids cyclinder seals ect. I have a 1973? 580b ck ser# 8694093. Do you know how i can look at a manual for my ho? Thank you, Mike580bck