I have been restoring a Case 580CK Loader Backhoe, of which is going pretty good considering that I mostly work on old Fords, Worthington, Jacobson and Fergusons. That said ... I am boggled by the purpose of the "S" position on the transmission shifter. I have a power-shuttle/hydraulic clutch all of which works well as does the 188 diesel engine. I just cannot find any information for the use of "S" position on the transmission, when engaged I hear something powering up. Is this a flywheel load for the engine, when the backhoe is in use? Thank you, Peter-S
It's the start position.
The neutral safety switch has been disconnected, which does not bother me as most of the old girls never had that feature. So the only purpose of the "S" position is for Starting? And should the "S" position be used when using the backhoe add-on? Thank you, Peter-S
Cant say there was any finality to this question. Sorry to drag up old posts but I have the same questions and I can't get shifter to go into "S" position. Running, not running, cold or warmed up it will not go into "S" position.
The S position was use on early models and then Case did away with it later on, even though the S was still on the cover. They blocked that slot with a roll pin I think and used neutral position for starting.
Going back and rereading my post it seems I didn't explain the "S" position very well. This was the neutral start position so the transaxle would be in neutral. Later machines you just had to put the four speed in neutral to start.
Great reply, thanks. Clears it up for me.