Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1968 Case 580CK clutch replacement

Boeingone · 2022-05-28 15:39

I am replacing the clutch and pressure plate on my 580 CK. In the maintenance manual it says you must assemble the clutch and pressure plate then do a release lever adjustment with special tools. A Clutch adjusting gauge (A37956) and adjusting tool (g15048) that slides into the end of it. See attached pics. Does anybody know a way to make the adjustment without using these special tools? Thanks, Randy

Replies16
  1. #1Tinkerer2022-05-29 09:04

    Welcome to HEF, Randy ! I don't think so. A transmission input shaft would be perfect to align the clutch plate with the fly wheel pilot bearing. Make some careful measurements of the transmission input shaft and a substitute could be made by anyone with a lathe. It doesn't have to be splined.

  2. #2Boeingone2022-05-29 11:36

    I have a lathe and I was planning on making a clutch alignment tool. I just need to find out adjustment height. Thanks, Randy

  3. #3Boeingone2022-05-29 14:07

    Where would I find this? Page # 6406-4 shows how to adjust the pressure plate.

  4. #4Tinkerer2022-05-29 14:20

    You have a Case 580CK model C. Not a 580CK as the thread title says. I am only posting that to avoid confusion for anyone wanting to help you. Post the tractor serial number and I can tell you when it was made. The height is on that page (6406-4).

  5. #5Boeingone2022-05-30 13:12

    Thank you so much for the information on adjusting the pressure plate I got the tractor split and the clutch plate is 11 inch diameter with 21 splines. I did not know I had a model C. The tag on the tractor says Model 33. Here is a picture of the serial number. 4167437 It has a 188D engine. Can you recommend a place to buy a clutch, pressure plate and Flywheel? Thanks, Randy

  6. #6stinky642022-05-30 13:32

    You don't have a C. 580C started 1975 serial #8950001 and will most likely have a 207 engine, model 33 is a CK.....

  7. #7Tinkerer2022-05-30 13:50

    Model 33 is the backhoe model not the tractor. The serial number under 188D is for the engine block. The 580C tractor serial numbers start at 895000 and on. Look on the left side of the dashboard for the tractor serial number. Here is a link to human encyclopedia about Case parts. Dale Wiess is his name. He is my go to man for parts. I have known Dale for many years. He is my go to man for parts. Decent prices and he sells OEM and aftermarket parts. Very fast shipping too. His dealership history is on his website. http://e-backhoeparts.com/

  8. #8Boeingone2022-05-31 09:16

    I found the model and serial number plaque on the right side of the instrument panel. 580CK SN 8353758 Going to call e-backhoe parts today. Thanks for all the help

  9. #9melben2022-05-31 10:30

    If you are buying new or rebuilt pressure plate you do not need to do finger height adjustments, they come preset, if the flywheel shows wear from the mettalic disc have it resurfaced as that wear will affect finger height. Replace seal also while you have it split.

  10. #10Boeingone2022-05-31 10:43

    Does anybody know the minimum height or thickness once you resurface the flywheel? Thx

  11. #11Tinkerer2022-05-31 11:19

    I don't. But as expensive as a machine shop work is it may be cheaper to replace the flywheel. I would find out how much it would cost to have it resurfaced.

  12. #12Boeingone2022-05-31 12:30

    The flywheel is about $500 to $600. I can do the machining myself, just wanted to make sure it would not be to thin. Thx

  13. #13melben2022-05-31 16:53

    You do not have to worry about ever getting the flywheel to thin, Just remove enough to get rid of the wear, probably ,040- 050 at the most, I have seen them turned enough that the pressure plate bolts had to be shortened a bit to tighten up and never an issue, they can be turned several times without an issue.

  14. #14Boeingone2022-05-31 18:12

    Thanks for the info. I’ll machine it smooth.

  15. #15Tinkerer2022-05-31 21:41

    Being able to resurface it your self is whole different situation cost wise than hiring it done.

  16. #16Boeingone2022-05-31 21:45

    Most definitely!