Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580c best way to go about removing big screw

Mike450136 · 2022-05-29 13:11

im trying to replace some seals since i have oil leaking into where my brake drums are. i figured i would do both sides. I tried a impact gun with a 1/2 inch drive drag link adapter but the screw head just gets deformed.

Replies12
  1. #1DirtyHoe2022-05-29 13:43

    Mike, Search on the forum. There are tons of great threads on this and how to replace the seals. HeavyEquipmentForums Good luck and welcome to the forum!

  2. #2nova4812022-05-29 14:12

    I had to drill both sides out to remove them. Then I replaced them with this and anti-seize so it had the hole already started if they had to be drilled out again.

  3. #3Tinkerer2022-05-29 14:12

    Welcome to HEF, Mike ! Do you have the service manual ??

  4. #4Jonas3022022-05-29 15:30

    Heat cycling with a cutting torch will help immensely Air hammer would be the next trick https://www.amazon.com/Pneumatic-At...8c-bd9f-1002604ab448&pd_rd_i=B09CDHRK85&psc=1 The vibrations go along ways to breaking the bond You could recut the slot with a die grinder cutting wheel And a not to sharp pointed chisel in an air hammer can push it around counter clockwise you would be surprised what that will unscrew Even some sharp hits with a 3 pound hammer on an extension and your drag link socket is worth a try but not as good as an air hammer

  5. #5hosspuller2022-05-29 18:26

    If you have a welder, Welding a nut on the screw will do two things... a larger grip and the heat of welding will help break it loose.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2022-05-29 18:38

    Hand impact and hammer.. If it doesn’t budge, heat the body, not the screw..

  7. #7melben2022-05-30 09:12

    Have done hundreds, sorry to disagree with thepumpguy, I know he will forgive me, but heat the screw head red hot, let it cool and it will screw out easily

  8. #8thepumpguysc2022-05-30 10:18

    Lol.. that’s alright.. cant ya tell 90% of my work is on aluminum.?? It’s the thought that counts..

  9. #9Mike4501362022-05-30 22:07

    I do have a service manual. Took forever to find it online.

  10. #10Mike4501362022-05-30 22:17

    I was too nervous to get the screw red hot if oil might be on the other side so i drilled the screw head off. I wonder how important it is to put those screws back in anyway? Maybe i should leave them out if it all gets held by the bolts on the outside anyway?

  11. #11Tinkerer2022-05-30 22:29

    I could of fixed up with it in about 30 seconds. Free, no cost !

  12. #12Mike4501362022-05-30 22:31

    Oh darn i should have signed up to the forum sooner lol