Hi, all. New to post here, but I've been reading through posts on here for a couple of weeks, and have found invaluable information. I am having trouble with my 1968 case 580ck. When I got it it had water in the power shuttle and trans so wouldn't go forward or reverse. I flushed it all and it worked great. I am now having the problem again. I flushed everything again and changed filter, but still nothing. At first I could get it to go in forward or reverse, but couldn't switch. To switch from forward to reverse or vice versa, I had to shut off the machine and restart it, then whatever direction I chose, it would go. Now it's not going at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Your power shuttle screen is plugged. You will need to open the top plate over the tranny to access it, and clean it properly. Its a known problem, and I am working on the same issue now.
Thanks for the response. Now that you mention that, I do remember reading something about that on here. Is it the cover directly over the trans with the shifter or the furthest cover to the front with the power shuttle? Also, where is the location of the screen inside? When I last had the covers off, I don't recall seeing anything like that. Sorry for the stupid questions, I am no mechanic. Lol. Everything I know about this machine is from this site and the very uninformative service manual...
This was a post I created a few months back after opening up my fist one: HeavyEquipmentForums The job is highly mechanical, and not for the timid. The plate is in front of the shifters, directly under the gas tank. I am working on my second on now, and I do not remove the gas tank to service. I do however move the entire steering cluster forward to gain access. Good luck.
One thing I would add to Dowls post is “DO NOT” use silicone when you go back together with assembly, it will peel off and plug screen again.