Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1969 Case 580ck weak reverse

dcummings2256 · 2018-06-22 10:50

My 1969 Case 580ck (named Missy) has switch symptoms a couple of times. She presently has a weak reverse. She has had this problem a few months ago but then for a brief 2 weeks she worked well in reverse (able to drag herself backwards with the front wheels off the ground) and forward also worked well. Like I said it was a brief honeymoon, we are back to a weal reverse. These are the things I have done. 1. Rebuilt the Shuttle Control Valve (new seals, springs, and o-rings 2. Rebuilt the Converter Valve (new spring and o-ring) 3. Adjusted the Brakes and Clutch Linkage along with the Spool adjustment. My Pressures are as follows: 1. Clutch Pressure (1500 RPM) a. Neutral - 180 PSI b. Forward - 120 PSI c. Reverse - 120 PSI * Note: With the Clutch dumped I do read some residual pressure from 0-10 PSI 2. Converter Pressure (Clutch Dumped, 1500 RPM) a. Neutral - 30 PSI b. Forward - 30 PSI c. Reverse - 30 PSI * Note: With the Clutch released I get the same readings as above for Forward and Reverse but when put in Neutral the Converter drops down to 20 PSI 3. Power Shuttle Lube Oil Pressure (Clutch Released, 1500 RPM) a. Neutral - 15-20 PSI b. Forward - 35 PSI c. Reverse - 40 PSI I also do not hear any weird noises when in reverse, no whining like slipping clutches or anything like that. I am hoping that someone can guide me to the problem or help me determine my next step. I will be changing the transmission oil with fresh stuff to see if somehow my hydraulic has been contaminated. It feels like something is not engaging fully. If I go from reverse to forward and step on the gas hard I can lift the front wheels off the ground, it is not even close going the other way. Reverse seems to want to go but is slow and weak. Like I said reverse worked well for 2 weeks so I do not think it is the reverse clutches or leaky seals. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. I do have a complete set of manuals for reference if needed. Thank you again and have a great day.

Replies12
  1. #1Grady2018-06-22 11:29

    My CK has the manual shuttle so I'm no help but there are several threads on here that deal with the power shuttle issues. Do a google search. I think a common one is the screen on the pickup tube getting clogged. I'm not sure that's your problem since you say you have good power going forward. The fluid change [and filter] and check that the linkage is adjusted correctly is a good place to start. See what's in the drained oil besides oil for clues.

  2. #2dcummings22562018-06-22 12:50

    If I were to blow air through the hydraulic lines after I drained the shuttle would it remove any possible debri from the shuttle pump. I do have the hole drilled under the screen and upon investigation there is no screen there.

  3. #3dcummings22562018-06-22 13:32

    I have good power going forward and reverse are the same (120 PSI) dropping down from 180 PSI in neutral.

  4. #4Grady2018-06-23 11:51

    Maybe try a PM to Juskatia or onemank6. They both have a lot of experience with the CK shuttle but I haven't heard much from them lately. Sorry I can't be more help.

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2018-06-24 19:05

    What is your pump pressure it should be around 200-250 psi. Does the shuttle pressure drop off after the machine warms up.

  6. #6dcummings22562018-06-24 20:50

    Cot, are you referring to the shuttle pump pressure measured at the transmission filter in front of the radiator? If so, I have not taken it. The bottom hose is the one I check right?

  7. #7dcummings22562018-06-24 20:51

    I am sorry Coy, not Cot, my fat fingers on this small I phone virtual keyboard.

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2018-06-28 10:47

    That's OK I know fat fingers. Yes I believe the bottom hose is the one you tee into to check pump pressure. Now there are two different power shuttles used on the 580b series machines 1) twin disc and 2) Rockford. There is a dump valve in the piston housing of the twin disc shuttle that at times stick and not allow the piston to engage all the way. The best way to know which one you have is to pull the top off of shuttle housing and look at shuttle. You can turn shuttle with your hands and see if there are valves in the piston housing.

  9. #9dcummings22562018-06-29 18:05

    It has been hectic here with family visiting so I have not gotten back to my problem. I know I have a Rockford shuttle not the Twin Disks. I will be getting the tee and other fittings to check my pressure. I have only a 300 PSI gauge so I don’t know if I can get a accurate reading. Will look into getting another higher pressure one.

  10. #10Coy Lancaster2018-06-30 13:39

    The piston seal is possible problem on reverse clutch, it's rare that you have problems with reverse because you don't use it as much nor do you abuse it like you do forward. And by you I don't mean just you I mean everybody.

  11. #11dcummings22562018-07-01 00:28

    That means splitting the tractor right. I was hoping to avoid that. Could it be anything else that I can try before going there?

  12. #12Coy Lancaster2018-07-01 21:57

    I really doubt it if it were something common it would affect both directions. The only other thing would be a bad gasket in control valve but highly unlikely.