hey guys, I have a 2004 cat 420d and about a month ago when I would turn the key off it would stay running for about 30sec kindda jugging than would die. It seems to be getting worse, if I press the fuel pedal down it dies quicker. Starts no problem. I replaced a fuel shut off sensor but it didn’t fix it. Any ideas?? Also there is a fuel water separator light on, and I don’t know how to reset the light? Changed the fuel filter but is there a truck to resetting the light?? Thanks!!
Two filters on machine. Water in fuel sensor is in the bowl of the bottom (closest to tank) filter. As for then run-on, unfortunately, it's most likely internally to the injection pump. You can remove the stop solenoid and clean the plunger tip before condemning the pump. One of my 420e has been like that since 1000hrs. Got 5k hours on it now. Just didn't want to expend the money or effort.
Where is the second filter? I’ve only ever changed the one by the fuel tank, cat dealer said there is only one?
Mine all have two... One high on the motor, above/ behind injection pump. One on bottom of motor or frame, near fuel tank.
Post your serial number and I can verify...my 416Cit, 426Cit, and 420Eit backhoes all have two filters.
Post the inj. pump # & I'll post the # of the latch valve.. At least they "fessed-up" to the problem.. "normally" they just deny it, like theres no problem at all.
Can the latch valve be changed without removal of the pump?
Some can & some cant.. depends on which side of the pump the LV is on.. IF its on the outside, yes.. if its on the inside, no.. it hits the engine block. One thing if ordering a new LV, it doesn't come w/ a tamper cap.. gotta order that separately. The LV is for cutting off the starting fuel quantity.. if the spring is broken OR its stuck due to contamination, the pump will try to pump excess fuel at shut down.. The NEW LV has to be set.. all ya gotta do is pry out the old tamper cap & using a 3 or 4mm allen wrench, RUN THE SCREW IN & COUNT THE TURNS.. Do the opposite w/ the new one.. run it down & back it OUT the same # of turns & drive in a NEW cap.. 9x outta 10 its 21/2 turns UP from bottom. I think it comes w/ new orings but I KNOW it doesn't come w/ a new T. cap..
Do you have a source for latch valve? Thanks in advance.
Just take your pump # off the name plate on the side of the pump and contact your local DIESEL fuel injection shop.. Or local TRACTOR shop and find out where they get their pumps done…