Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1969 Cat D7E dozer with Hyster D7D winch

ksliger · 2023-12-06 22:13

Greetings, I bought a new to me 1969 Cat D7E dozer with a Hyster D7D winch on it. The winch is missing the hand brake and shifter and the assembly they are mounted in to the left of the operator's seat. By chance does anyone have or know of these parts for sale anywhere? Thanks in advance!

Replies11
  1. #1epirbalex2023-12-07 22:41

    Is that a direct drive dozer ? It will need to be if the controls are to be any use to you .

  2. #2ksliger2023-12-07 22:56

    Yes, its direct drive

  3. #3epirbalex2023-12-07 23:18

    It may be cheaper to buy a winch with its controls and keep the winch for spares . One of the guys on here has a D7D winch for sale or at least did few weeks back . Its in NZ but cheap enough to pay for the total winch and leave him the winch and have the controls freighted if there's nothing closer to you to be found

  4. #4ksliger2023-12-08 00:24

    Thanks for checking. Turns out the previous owner of my dozer has the control levers. I think I am good to go.

  5. #5OzDozer2023-12-08 08:18

    How did the D7D winch get fitted to the D7E? According to my information, the D7D winch will not fit the D7E, the last model D7 it fits is the D7 17A. Did someone fabricate an adaptor plate to mount the winch to the rear housing? The D7E was an all-new tractor as compared to the previous D7 models, and the rear housing was all new, and the Hyster winch to fit the D7E was the model D7F Hyster.

  6. #6ksliger2023-12-08 08:26

    Nothing I can see appears fabricated. From what I understand, the D7D winch is only used on direct drive tractors. The tractor is a direct drive D7E 47A high horsepower

  7. #7D6 Merv2023-12-08 20:36

    Ozdozer is correct. D7D winch was made for D7 17A tractors Someone must have altered the bolt holes to fit a D7E as its a different rear case, and different drive shaft to a 17A.

  8. #8ksliger2023-12-08 20:51

    Interesting info. I don't imagine I'll ever have the winch off to confirm, but I will take a closer look to see if I can see anything that has been altered. I'll report back.

  9. #9epirbalex2023-12-08 23:41

    Take it easy with the power , it may come off on its own . Both mine and the one I referred to earlier have had the top mounting lugs torn off . And thats with 140 HP on 17A's

  10. #10ksliger2023-12-09 07:45

    Thanks for the advice. This dozer is going to have a nice and easy farm life. I don’t plan on doing anything too hard or crazy with her.

  11. #11Welder Dave2023-12-09 20:49

    You never do but then that 1 extreme job comes up where you want/need to push it harder than normal. Make sure everything is up to snuff to handle it.