Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adding Winch to D7E

nicholasktu ยท 2023-12-07 16:02

My D7E (sn 48A1697) has the fixed drawbar and I would like to put a winch on it to do some minor logging. I found a Hyster D7H winch with a logging arch but I'm not sure if its direct drive or hydraulic control. Is putting a winch on these dozers fairly simple? I can't find much info on it. Thanks in advance, Nick

Replies7
  1. #1Old Magnet2023-12-07 19:03

    Winch info here.... https://www.alliedsystems.com/pdf/Winch/Manuals/599197W.pdf

  2. #2epirbalex2023-12-07 22:51

    The D7E I had for awhile and two others I've see had a D7F series winchs on them , power shift dozers . Being power shift or direct drive will determine what winch you can fit .

  3. #3nicholasktu2023-12-08 06:57

    Since I have a powershift machine I have to use the hydraulic control winch I assume. That's a minor problem because the winch control pump is already installed and in use by the blade tilt function. I found a winch in Texas for 1500$ and its power control but I think its missing parts.

  4. #4epirbalex2023-12-08 14:30

    There won't be any pressure issues if you put a diverter valve on the tilt system , is the tilt operated from a peddle by your left foot still . Maybe a case of reconnecting the original tilt system . I was offered a direct drive D7E dozer with a PCU on it and was told to fit a hydraulic control winch was a hassle .

  5. #5nicholasktu2023-12-08 18:43

    The tilt is controlled by a lever under the powershift controls.

  6. #6D6 Merv2023-12-08 20:32

    powershift winch needs its own dedicated pump. Needs a constant supply of oil to lubricate clutch packs and bearings. Every time engine is running; winch bevel gear shaft is turning, along with the clutch packs so needs constant oil supply. For D7E 48A you want a powershift Hyster winch; models D7F; D7H, . Later D7J D7k and W8k were usually on D7F and G.

  7. #7nicholasktu2023-12-08 23:02

    So I need to replumb the tilt cylinder to get the pump freed up for the winch. I don't have the winch yet so it's no big hurry.