Hey guys... We bought a 69 D7 E. It has a pup motor and it is the high horse model. Im learning about starting it with the pup and its pretty cool. What kind of maintence is required for the pup motor on there. I did put new gas with stablizer in it so far. What else should I be doing with it. I need to turn the fan blades around for winter time... or else you freeze to death in ten minutes.
The biggest thing with pup motors is to turn the fuel off after the main engine is started and let it run out of fuel. If you don't do this the float in the carby will bounce all day and flood the motor. You'll then have a mongrel job restarting it. These are darn good tractor ,probably the best Cat made with the F being the worst. Hope you enjoy using it.
Unless it has a "proper" reversible fan then changing the fan around will not change the direction of air flow through the radiator. It will still suck from the engine compartment and blow out the front.
Nige who made those reversible fans Huber?
TBH I’m not sure who made the reversible fans as far back as that.
Have seen Huber advertised for older machines. I don't know if there were many companies making reversable fans.
AFAIK, back then cat made their own reversible fans. On my old 46a there were cat numbers on all the components. I had it all apart once to repair a crumpled blade. It broke off from the shank were it had cracked across the rivet holes. The shanks can seize in the hub if the blades are not turned regularly. Just make sure when you turn a blade that it snaps back outward to lock in position.
Hmm Not sure what you mean by proper? It should either have reversable blades or not?? If it didnt you wouldnt be able to even move the blades?
Yes... my d6c blades were pretty hard to turn back one year for summer work. I always make sure they do snap back in.
Sorry I should have worded it better. There are lots of people around that think they can reverse the air flow on a conventional fan by removing it and reinstalling the opposite way round. This of course does not work, all it does is send the air in the same direction but with less flow. By “proper” I meant a fan with reversible (rotatable) blades designed to produce air flow in both directions.
This was my experience as well in regard to shutting off the gas and letting the engine die after the diesel is started.
The operations manual says that the pony motor is to be shut off by turning off the fuel flow. I don't know of any other "shut off" mechanism that the pony has.
The starter switch is also the ignition or was. When I was connecting a scraper to the CCU or adjusting the clutch or break I would use the pup motor to assist, easier to stop and start that than start the main motor
On the old machines with an electric start pup motor, there was usually a separate mag switch(ground) and a push button starter switch
Mine has a push button with a on and off switch.
I had a look and they are reversable...but are pretty stiff... They said the dozer sat for 5 years...and who knows how much it ran before that ( was a farm cat)
So I fired up the cat the other day and plowed some snow... Worked ok off the start but gradually slowed down and then when I stopped to go to reverse it wouldnt move for about 5 or 6 seconds.. same thing going back to forward. Then it wouldnt move at all until I shut the engine off and restarted it. Same thing happens again.. gradually slows and then stops. Now it will do this right off the bat. I will move slowly and get going, but as soon as you pull the right steering clutch it wont move. Turns left though. Then after 5 mins it stops. I changed trans filters today, that made no difference. I have to get to the mesh strainer yet. I took all the floor boards off but I cant see it. its gotta be under the floor to the right of the seat. I did notice silver filings from the filters sitting on the tracks. Looks fine.. like metalic paint.
Post some photos please. You really need a Maintenance Manual if you don't already have one. They're only $30 to download IIRC but to find the right one depends on the tractor Serial Number.
Is the metal aluminum? Pull a floor panel and watch the U joints or drive shaft assembly. Does it stop turning, when the tractor won't move. It is full of transmission oil? Might be time to put a pressure gauge on the pump. Reversed fan blades? No thanks I got cooked in 20 degree weather, I'd rather long johns and a few coats. If the hands in the gloves get cold a few breaks here and there grabbing the exhaust stack. Me a stuck record, old worn out dozer strikes again. How much did it cost? 30K ?
I will have to get a magnet and see. I should have got some pics of the metal filings but the filters are frozen now. Speaking of frozen...it's -10c right now and that oil sure seems thick. I use 10w in all my other cats m, but this seems thicker? Shaft is still turning. In the one pic there is a pioneer fitting on the pump line...can you hook a gauge up there? I also have these 2 filters on the side that the service manual doesn't mention...
Looks like the part with the Pioneer coupling was welded at some point.
The magnet screen 9m8669 is under the stering cluch pump
I see that to.
They don't make it easy to get to...
Does it have a winch?, possibly an attachment hydraulic filter
Yes it does...and i followed the lines to the back and they come out the back and are capped
They are steel... the magnet picks it all up
that does not look good, but for a better look at what's adhering to the filter media, cut a section of it out, squeeze it in a vice to get all the oil out, then open up the pleats. See this VIDEO at around the 3:00 mark to see how it's done.
This stuff is coming from stering cluch and brake linning
Is there metal in the friction material.?
I was thinking maybe the pump?
Whit a streaner plug like that the oil pump could be sick too.
If its steel then it looks like failed roller bearings, or something is wearing into something, if its Al something is killing the stator. And again what was the price of the machine?
Stator?
The thingy that makes a torque converter a torque converter, without it, it is just a fluid coupling.
Ahh yes