Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1970 680CK tranny fluid

dood51 · 2012-04-23 11:52

Newbie here… I have a late 60’s, early 70’s Case 680CK Backhoe- Diesel. I have 2 questions. 1) How do I check the transmission fluid? There is (what looks like) a filtered ‘breather’ located behind the gear shifter and, when removed, I can insert fish-tape through the hole and detect that there is fluid in the tranny, but how do I know “how much” is in there? 2) My hydraulic fluid seems to look “milky” for some reason; almost like air bubbles are being infused into it. I have plenty of fluid in the tank and I have plenty of hydraulic power so I don’t see how air could make its way through the pump. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies6
  1. #1bowen2012-04-23 20:54

    I think milky fluid may have water in it. Someone else can confirm or add. Whatever I would want the fluid changed.

  2. #2Tinkerer2012-04-24 09:42

    If your 680 is a "B" series CK there should be a dipstick attached to the the plug the breather is screwed into.

  3. #3alrman2012-04-24 11:01

    I hope you are talking about the transaxle.......I can help with a picture - but not much else

  4. #4dood512012-04-24 11:49

    Awesome; thank you all for the input! Bowen; the backhoe ended up out in the elements most of this past winter so, perhaps, water did make its way into the system. Tinkerer/alrman; looks like the dipstick is threaded into the transaxle housing.?. Should I check the tranny fluid hot? While running??? Thanks!

  5. #5bowen2012-04-25 07:00

    I am not familiar with this machine at all, but if this is the rear end you are working on just cranking the machine may not warm this fluid. You have to drive it or raise the rear and turn the wheels at least. I would think a cold check would be fine at least to determine if you do have a water problem. How hard is it do drain some out? You need to find out how much and what kind of fluid the thing holds.

  6. #6sheepfoot2012-04-25 21:59

    dood51, the trans/rear end takes 28-qt of 135-H EP gear oil to change out