I just bought an old CK 580, the brakes don't work. If I press hard on the lefthand brake, I can slow the tractor a little. The right hand brake isn't hooked up. (All the linkages seem to be there.) Also, the differential lock isn't hooked up. There is a rod that comes out of the transmission and ends in a lever, the lever is broke off. It's 2WD, diesel engine. Two questions: How do I fix the brakes, or what should I look for to diagnose why they aren't working? How do I diagnose and fix the differential? Thank you, Scott
If you have the CK B or C, you can download a service manual here: http://www.minnpar.com/manuals3.asp?FName=BACKHOE MANUALS&SFName=CNH (CASE) Service Manuals Usually, you only need to adjust the master cylinders to get the brakes working again.
The 580 CK has dry brakes with mechanical linkages. If there are leaking seals, the linings will need to be replaced after the seals are replaced. Do a search on here and you will come up with several links for repair of the brakes and issues to expect. For the linings and any other parts you need, contact Dale Weiss at Tractorstuff. He is very knowledgeable and prices are fair. Once you've done some research you should be able to handle the repairs. Brakes were never particularly good on these tractors but will stop you on a hill if they are set up properly and not oiled from seal leaks. Have fun...
I took a look at the 580ck manual. The actual brake part is just like my old 480c. But if yours is like the 580ck manual, it's totally mechanical, you have no master cylinders and brake lines. But besides that, they work the same as my 480c. You have a little stub shaft that comes out each side of the transmission, and this has a brake assembly on it. On this stub shaft is a thick round piece. It has brake material on the sides as well as on the od. There is a metal band that goes around the center od, and that is what is hooked to the pedal linkage. When you apply the brakes, the band grabs the od of the thick round piece. This thick round piece is actually 3 main pieces, with metal roller balls in the middle that sit in little channel ramps. As the metal band clamps around the od to try and stop it, the stub shaft keeps turning the "guts" and the balls roll around the ramps and expand the thick round piece so it starts rubbing the sides, giving more braking power. A guy on this board described it in such a way that the light bulb came on in my head, maybe I can do the same for you. He described the thick round piece inside like a sandwich that you would eat(I like moon pies). As the moon pie spins around, the brake band will grab the center marshmallow part and stop it. This causes the two chocolate outer parts of the sandwich to expand and brake against the outer housing and the side of the transmission.
The brakes are pretty simple and with some patience, you will be able to get them fixed properly. In your original post, you mention diagnosis and fixing the differential. It would be helpful if you can describe exactly what it is you are trying to fix, so we can respond. The differential does required some careful measurements and shims to get the several preloads set properly. Before you dive into disassembly, make sure you have some idea of how it goes together and record what went where. There are shims behind the plate inside of the brake assembly and thrust washers on the diff shaft. When I had mine all disassembled last year, I followed the advice given on this forum by the guys who worked on them as a career. It made setting it up correctly a lot easier. Lots of good info and pictures posted on this site for 580 brakes and differential work. Take the time to look for them. This is my thread from my yet to be finished rebuild. There are some pictures that might be of interest to you. HeavyEquipmentForums This one is of another rebuild that I benefited from his experiences. HeavyEquipmentForums
Look to see if there is oil coming from the brake housings. If there is oil then you will have to disassembled and oil seal replaced, along with the brake shoes and disc. Also if this machine has a diff lock there are two small seals in the stub shaft that will need to be replaced.