I just bought a cat d5 1970 model. How hard would it be to put a winch on it? What type would fit? I have owned a deere 450c last fifteen years and the cat is sure different, will take some getting used to. Is a d5 this year a pretty good machine, anything I need to watch for on it that might give problems. Thanks
I assume you have a D5 93J or 96J ? I have run those machines and they are pretty good for the most part. As far as a winch, they are simple to install. A direct drive requires removing the small cover from the back of the machine, and mounting the winch. Then you can run the cables up to the 2 levers you mount in the operator station. A power control winch is just about as easy, with the addition of a winch hydraulic pump in most cases. There are self contained power controlled winches such as a Carco 60 where the pump is in the winch itself rather than mounted on the machine itself.